SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my plug wires today. I pop the one off to number 1 cylinder and I notice its all dirty inside the spark plug area. Kind of a rustish, brownish yellowish color. It smelt like burnt oil also. The rest of the plug wires and the spark plug area place were clean and had the normal cylinder head/ valve cover metal color to it. I couldnt get the plugs out as I don't have an extention that is that long, for some odd reason. Any ideas on what this is/was caused by? Thanks in advance.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Hmm. I can only think of two things:

1. Did you run 87 octane gas with advanced timing?

and

2. Have you recently washed your engine? I ask this because of a friend of mine washed his engine in his Civic one time, water got into the spark plug well and fould the plug and rust started to form on the inside after a week or so.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always run 92 since I had the timing advanced last november. The car is fast approaching 60k miles so the cap/rotor and plugs will be replaced as soon as they get here. Last week at the drag strip, my traps were down in the 82/83mph area, 4mph less than my old averages. I still get great gas mileage (33mpg) and there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust. I just have no power!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.. Judging by what others have told me, I'm going to replace the spark plug gasket and hope its that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
Well.. Judging by what others have told me, I'm going to replace the spark plug gasket and hope its that. </font>
My car had the same problem, only worse, my plug was covered in oil. A new valve cover gasket fixed it

------------------
Stock (except for sticky Dunlops 8000's) '91 NX2K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts