SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
B13 Classicism
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys tell me im wrong. Do these photos show that my water pump and radiator are done for?

Thanx.

·
VE 96 SE-R
2,762 Posts
the radiator looks like it's toast. Don't know about the water pump. Have you checked the hose on the back of the motor that attaches the hardline to the motor? Those tend to give out after a while as well.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
rad yes 100% yes but idk about the water pump i mean mine did the same thing when it went and if your going to replace it i would redo the water lines on the back of the block for peace of mind

·
B13 Classicism
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the radiator looks like it's toast. Don't know about the water pump. Have you checked the hose on the back of the motor that attaches the hardline to the motor? Those tend to give out after a while as well.
hhhmm... ok so i gotta check out that hose your talking about. I was already thinking to myself TIME FOR A VVL swap!!! ( if my water pump is done.) i gotta pull out the engine to work on the water pump right? :confused:

rad yes 100% yes but idk about the water pump i mean mine did the same thing when it went and if your going to replace it i would redo the water lines on the back of the block for peace of mind
Yea good idea! im gonna do that too. i really hope its not my water pump, how did you change it out? i thought i read somewhere that is a [email protected]#% to change out.

oh and Thanx alot guys for replying so fast:biggthump

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
the water pump is a bitch i dropped the motor almost out of the car so i could get to everything easy plus u kinda have to drop it or jack it up bc there is no room at all to get to the water pump and its also a pita to get to them water lines with the motor in the car

·
VE 96 SE-R
2,762 Posts
hhhmm... ok so i gotta check out that hose your talking about. I was already thinking to myself TIME FOR A VVL swap!!! ( if my water pump is done.) i gotta pull out the engine to work on the water pump right? :confused:

Yea good idea! im gonna do that too. i really hope its not my water pump, how did you change it out? i thought i read somewhere that is a [email protected]#% to change out.

oh and Thanx alot guys for replying so fast:biggthump
you don't have to drop the motor to change the water pump, but space is very limited and it is a PITA. You can undo the passenger side motor mount to give you more space work. But if you have a high mileage motor in there, you should just drop it and freshen it up or throw a VVL in that biatch!:biggthump

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
You don't have to drop the motor. Like other said remove the mount, you might bet able to take the bolts out of the front and back mount and use a jack and have a ton of room.

I've never had my water pump fail on either one of my se-r's. KNOCK ON WOOD.

I know one time I took the water pump pulley off for some reason, and I got it back on there without removing the mount, it was my ride home and the salesman were leaving and were about to lock everything up, those 4 bolts were HELL. I was worried about them all the way home since I was in a rush putting it back together.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
no u dont have to drop the motor i was just sayin that was the way i found it to be easy i had so much room when i did that but do it how u want thats just the way i did it

·
B13 Classicism
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hehehe im very tempted to throw in a VVL, SER96VPEC. But im not sure if its in my budget just yet. im thinkin its about 2-3gs for a good runing reliable swap right? .

well im definitely gonna try all your guys ideas. if one doesnt work out for me, ill try the next one :) till i get to the point of getting a swap! ( this can be a pretty good excuse for a swap, since im about to hit 200k mark soon anyways.)

Any sugestions of a Good radiator set up? that can be used now and later on a VVL swap as well if i decided that route?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
koyo rads are nice and if u get some nice new slim fans u should be ready to go and just some fyi its cheaper to go with a det then to go vvl atleast thats what ive come to find out

·
VE 96 SE-R
2,762 Posts
hehehe im very tempted to throw in a VVL, SER96VPEC. But im not sure if its in my budget just yet. im thinkin its about 2-3gs for a good runing reliable swap right? .
It depends on what mods you already have.
Bare minimum:

vvl motor: $800
vvl switch: $100-180
ecu: $300 (nistune board installed)
intake: $80-150 (if you have a lowport intake, then you're good)
main seals, fluids, coolant line adapters, spark plugs, tune-up stuff, etc.: $100-150

if you have an aftermarket performance or upgraded clutch that's in good shape, you can use that. If you already have an exhaust, then you're ok for now.

·
B13 Classicism
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It depends on what mods you already have.
Bare minimum:

vvl motor: $800
vvl switch: $100-180
ecu: $300 (nistune board installed)
intake: $80-150 (if you have a lowport intake, then you're good)
main seals, fluids, coolant line adapters, spark plugs, tune-up stuff, etc.: $100-150

if you have an aftermarket performance or upgraded clutch that's in good shape, you can use that. If you already have an exhaust, then you're ok for now.
well honestly im not looking for much power, just the lil kick in the a$$ when it needs it. main thing is reliability. ive lost intrest on turbo FWD cars, to much power not enough traction.

·
VE 96 SE-R
2,762 Posts
honestly the cost of vvl's has come down quite a bit, but the price of DET's really hasn't come down as much. healthy vvl's are super reliable, make good power, and are great on gas as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Drop in a VVL and surprise them K20's :D They will ask if you got NOS! hearing that weird Vtec pop from a sentra. lol

·
VE 96 SE-R
2,762 Posts

·
Bitter Old Man
2,637 Posts
SR20 uses 1-5/8" hoses.

·
B13 Classicism
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok so i checked for the hose, wasnt really sure wich ones but im guessing these?

and if it is one of these2 hoses, i didnt see anythin drip out of them :confused: i really do think its gonna be my waterpump:( water just streams thought the side where the pullyes are.:rolleyes:GREAT!

there was no spill behind the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.