SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
going thru life @ 1 bar
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got 5.25" speakers for the doors on my NX2000. Which are too deep too fit behind the door panel.

Does any body have pics of any type of 5.25" speakers mounted, so i can see more and one option to mount them in the factory spot?

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Bumpin this up...

When you have speakers that don't fit, the ONLY option you have, is to either cut the OEM "screen" out, and put an adpater on the door itself, then a guard over it. If you don't want to do this (I personally wouldn't, it just looks tacky), I suggest you get shallow speakers. IDK if the NX's rear ports will accept those speakers you have, but if they do, you may want to put them back there (unless you already have aftermarkets installed back there).

·
going thru life @ 1 bar
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive already reworked the rear brackets to fit 5x7s and they hide under the panels quite well.

thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Here's what I did.

You can remove the grill/map pocket part off the door by removing the whole door panel and there will be multiple silver screws that mount that lower piece to the main panel.

You can then rig up a thin adapter to mount the speaker to the door panel and then put the grill/map pocket back on. This should give you about 1/2" to 3/4" of extra space.

It's kind of ghetto, but if you seal up the mounting surface of the door panel it won't make much of a difference.

·
Shift_2.0
2,772 Posts
Just use the factory 4x6 brackets,with a little trimming on them and the back of the doorpanel for clearance you should get them in.
I have done this on 2 cars(nx) in the past,and once I put 6.5 components in no prob.
If you don't have the brackets,I have a spare set I will sell you

·
Registered
107 Posts
crutchfield sent me some adapters for my doors but i didnt use them....i installed infinity reference 51/4 components in my front doors and all i did was trim and redrill the stock speaker cups

·
broke, busted and rusted
2,095 Posts
i installed an abs 1" spacer in the door. I now have 6.5" mounted in the doors

·
Enjoy the GTR Matt!
3,716 Posts
I cut Some pvc at an angle and used it with an 6.5" Infinity separates for years. Just take a dremel and remove as much of the plastic behind the grill as you can. The new ED 6500's were too big for that, So I removed the map pocket, as described above and mounted the Speaker on the outside of the door panel behind the map pocket grill. So you have several options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW I put a pair of Infinity 6022i's (6.5 inchers) in the doors of my daughter's 1993 NX2000 yesterday. I pulled the OEM 4"x6" mount out, screwed in a 1" thick speaker ring and attached the speakers to the mounting ring.

The Infinity's are spec'd at 2.75" mounting depth, but they fit - it was tight - but they fit and sound good.

My 2 cents

1 - 14 of 14 Posts