SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i'am doing a custom turbo kit.......does anyone know where i could get a downpipe from

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Make your own that's what I did, depending on what size turbo your running. I went with a 3 inch downpipe for my t3t04e an it works well, had to remove the a/c though". It also scraps the ground at times due to my struts being TOAST. It's up to you. You can also get it done by a muffler shop.

You can see photos of my install including the DP at www.geocities.com/yellow4g63/sr20det.htm

Mike Collins USN.
Turbo Classic soon to be Sleeper tuned

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Mike,
I saw that you made your manifold, nice job. Did you use pre-orderd mandrel bent tubing? And di you have to buy and special pipe flares to do this? It look fairly simple in terms of mocking up the manifold. ALso what did you use for a template of the exhaust ports and bolt pattern layout? This may be something I might be interested in trying. after looking at your manifold and the FMAX manifold, it looks like something that I could accomplish! ALso what thickness of piping did you use. Well thanks in advance for the help, and congrats on a job well done!

late,
wes

www.wes.nissanpower.com

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wes:
Mike,
I saw that you made your manifold, nice job. Did you use pre-orderd mandrel bent tubing? And di you have to buy and special pipe flares to do this? It look fairly simple in terms of mocking up the manifold. ALso what did you use for a template of the exhaust ports and bolt pattern layout? This may be something I might be interested in trying. after looking at your manifold and the FMAX manifold, it looks like something that I could accomplish! ALso what thickness of piping did you use. Well thanks in advance for the help, and congrats on a job well done!

late,
wes

www.wes.nissanpower.com
</font>
Wes,

I got some mild steel Ubends that are 1 5/8ths in Diameter. 16g wall. I got a flange from Hotshots and a turbo flange from Roadrace engineering. I then cut up the U Bends and began to piece it together I first made the log type manifold tacked it on to
the flange then put it on the car for clearence tests. After that I placed the turbo over it to see where I should put the turbo as far as clearence. I then drew a few lines on the manifold and cut an opening to put the t3 flange up against to weld. After I welded It up I put it back on car to find it to be a perfect fit. Suggestions support the wastegate and turbo to prevent cracking and use slip joints to prevent cracking.

Mike Collins USN.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Thanks for the response! That is exactly what I had in mind, or at least how I assumed it would be done. ANd I figured that HS could provide the flange. SO as far as support, did you make a brace for the turbo? I am going to use an internal gate and probably a T3 since I have the GA16. SO it may be a smaller application than what you have. BTW thanks for the advice!

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wes:
SO as far as support, did you make a brace for the turbo? I am going to use an internal gate and probably a T3 since I have the GA16. SO it may be a smaller application than what you have. BTW thanks for the advice! </font>
Yes I suggest you use a support for the Turbo as well as the wastegate. And remember to use slip joints to prevent cracking.

Mike Collins USN.

Turbo Classic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts