SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! On Sunday I ran at a all import drags here in Sacramento. Best time of 15.6 at 88. Not my fastest ( 15.2 at 89 ) I figure because of a mildly slipping clutch. But my question was gonna be....How do you fellow SE-R drivers race your cars? As far as..launching and shifting? As for me i've got I/h/e and the best time I could run is 15.2 where I hear people running as low as 14.6 with the same mods..I know tires, track condition, altitude, and etc..can affect times but a full second? So obviously it must be driver in my case. I've a span of 4 months i've raced my car at several different tracks. Out in San Antonio, SIR in Seattle, and here at Sacramento Raceway. Times were pretty consistant except for in Tx..( full second slower..) but anyways..I launch at about 3k to 35k rpm(rev,hold,drop) and redline it (7100..stock ECU) in every gear. 60ft times are normally around low 2.4s and high 2.3s I normally don't get much wheelhop. ( drop tire pressure to about 25psi ) Am I doing something wrong..is there a better way to launch or shift??? Please let me know? I wanna drop my ET's Bad! ( by the way..only SR20DE at the track...Spanked the shiet outta many SI's and GSR's with similar mods! Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
166 Posts
are you in the bay area? I run at sac too..

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
The biggest thing is the launch. You have to be super-sensitive and in tune with what the car is doing. You basically have to modulate everything using the clutch pedal and gas while at the same time trying to keep an eye on the tach while trying to figure out what your tires are doing! Because of the differences in tires and suspension setup, there really is no tried-and-true way to launch.

For me with sticky Bridgestone RE-71s and Shocktek shocks, I launch at 3,000 rpm and let out the clutch (not a clutch "drop" and not just mashing the gas) and ever so slightly press in on the gas. Let the clutch out too fast = wheelspin. Give too much gas = wheelspin. Let clutch out too slow = bog big time. Not feed enough gas = bog big time. Get everything just right = 2.0X 60-foot time.

If there is a sure-fire secret, it's practice, practice, practice.
You want to at least shoot for low 2.2 60-foot times and go from there. I have over 250 drag strip passes, and you can see how my times started to drop as my launching got better. A couple tenths off a 60-foot time is probably worth at least a half second on your overall time.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
I use to just drop it at like 3k but modulate the gas so I wouldn't get too much wheel spin an then when I felt like I wouldn't spin I took off. Drive it like u stole it is all I can say
.ohh yeah stay on the gas the whole time an shift at like 6800 (classic). When I had exhaust an filter netted me 15.3's all day long. then the headers 14.8's. Check to make sure your header isn't leaking. If it's a Hotshots then more than likely it is. In the center where the pipes meet you should see a crack, Fix it if u have one cause u are loseing power. phew that was long.

------------------

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Like everybody else said, practice that launch. Low 2.3s/high 2.2s are possible with 195 street tires and the stock suspension (for me, others have done better). 3800rpm launch while quickly slipping the clutch, and then just practice to learn how much gas is needed to not bog and not spin too much.

I have never dropped the clutch.

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Awww crap! CMI Winter Warmups?? Erwin??
Was it you that called me Sunday morning? Sorry man but I was asleep! Sounds like you did pretty good tho! E-mail me and I'll give you my home numbers again. You can bet I'll be back there in Feb when it starts up again

------------------
93 CLassic 200k+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts