SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going drag racing for the first time tonight. I've spent the last 4 years autocrossing and doing track schools but no dragging. Just interested in what my SE-R can do in the quarter. I've done SCCA Prosolos which uses a drag light for the start line, so it won't be totally foreign. Anyone got any tips?

The only things I know to do are:
Set rear shock to full stiff
Lower front air pressure to 25ish psi
Take everything out of the car
Launch ~3 grand

I've got JWT intake, Hotshot headers, custom 2.25 exhaust, underdrive pulleys and 17 degrees of timing. Any estimates on what times I should see?

Also, I just installed the underdrive pulleys last night. I may be full of crap here, but I feel they made more of a difference than the header. This is strictly seat-of-the-pants feel. $200 well spent.
Thanks,

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 04-27-2001).]

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:

The only things I know to do are:
Lower front air pressure to 25ish psi
Take everything out of the car
Launch ~3 grand

I've got JWT intake, Hotshot headers, custom 2.25 exhaust, underdrive pulleys and 17 degrees of timing. Any estimates on what times I should see?
</font>
You can launch at a higher RPM than that, close to 4k should be alright. A little wheelspin helps our cars. I set my front struts to full stiff aswell to help with wheelhop. my best guess at your time would be [email protected] What do I win if I am close.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, Courtesy Exhaust, and Pretty looking pedals and shift knob

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">my best guess
at your time would be [email protected] What do I win if I am close.
</font>
I'll send you a new N/A blow-off valve

According to my friends G-tech, I ran a 15.4 a few weeks ago before I installed the pulleys. And that was a nice, 87 degree hot Eastern NC afternoon on an airport runway. I have no real feel for how acurate those things are, but I imagine they're not far off. I was figuring with cool night air and pulleys I'd be a bit closer to 15.0.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts

</font>
Set the front shocks to full stiff, too.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:
Set the front shocks to full stiff, too.
</font>
Huh? Are you sure? At SE-R dyno day at Englishtown last month all of us guys with KYB AGX's set our fronts to full SOFT for dragging, but the rears to stiff.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 04-27-2001).]

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Also, I just installed the underdrive pulleys last night. I may be full of crap here, but I feel they made more of a difference than the header. This is strictly seat-of-the-pants feel. $200 well spent.
Thanks,
</font>
Matt, I'm very glad to hear that. I have UR pulleys (not installed yet) for my car as well. Did you get the 2 set or the 4? I got the 2. The 4 set is not worth it supposdely because it only makes another 1-2hp.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Huh? Are you sure? At SE-R dyno day at Englishtown last month all of us guys with KYB AGX's set our fronts to full SOFT for dragging, but the rears to stiff.

</font>
One night drag racing in October '99 I was getting 2.15+ 60-foot times (mostly in the 2.17 range). This was on 5-6 passes, and I had gotten about the same 60-foot times the week before at the same track. It seemed like the front end was lifting too much when launching (already had the rear shocks at full hard. So I turned the front shocks to full hard, and got 60-foot times of 2.08 and 2.09.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Did you get the 2 set or the 4? I got the 2.</font>
I got the set of 2, crank and water pump. Don't get me wrong, the header was a good upgrade. The car is definitely stronger at higher rpms with it. But the underdrive pulleys ROCK! Throttle response feels quicker. The engine feels like it's less burdened over the entire rpm range. I could feel the difference backing out of my garage! It may be only 5-6 hp, but it feels like much more. This is #1 on my bang-for-the-buck list so far. Well worth it.

Oh, don't forget to get new belts! The stock ones are too big.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:
So I turned the front shocks to full hard, and got 60-foot times of 2.08 and 2.09.

</font>
Pat, thats pretty weird. But since you got good results I'm gonna try it next time I go dragging.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I got the set of 2, crank and water pump. Don't get me wrong, the header was a good upgrade. The car is definitely stronger at higher rpms with it. But the underdrive pulleys ROCK! Throttle response feels quicker.

Oh, don't forget to get new belts! The stock ones are too big.
</font>
Sweet, I'm psyched for myself now
And oh yeah, I got my pulleys from Courtesy which was running a special, $199 for the pulleys with belts included.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jayntguru:
What's the price difference between the two and 4 pulley set?
-Jay
</font>
Very little, except the price and what a pain in the ass it can be. The 4 set is dynoed only at 1-2 more HP than the 2 set which is usually 5-6hp.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)

G

·
0 Posts
this really makes me want to buy those pulleys now!

------------------
92 nx2000 - im good enough, im smart enough, and dogonnit, poeple like me!

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the results:

R/T: .726
60' 2.306
330 6.414
1/8 9.808
MPH 72.65
1000 12.720
1/4 15.195
MPH 90.88

I know the reaction time sucks. This was my best 60' time (AVS int). I had just put the front shocks to full stiff. I beat everyone I went down there with, including a stock Type R, a GS-R with i/e/h, and a Civic DX with a CRX Si or Japanese ZC engine (I forget which).

Overall I had a good time. More fun than I thought I'd have going in a straight line anyway. It was pretty cheap, not that far away, and I'll probably do it again sometime. Everyone was very impressed what a "freakin' Sentra" could do. I lined up against an Accord automatic and he asked me what I ran. I told him I just ran a 15.285 and he looked at me like I had just landed from Mars.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

G

·
0 Posts
hey storm, how much you pay for the pulleys?

------------------

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
The pulleys were $199 from Courtesy Nissan and also included the new belts (I think they're maybe 10 dollars each)

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)

G

·
0 Posts
uhh... whats that mean?

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts