SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to fix the door sag on an aging SE-R?

Old postings only offer "new hinges" as the solution but wouldn't it be easier to just put in new bushings? If so and if anyone has fixed the sag with new bushings, where can I get 'em?

------------------
Chad Kelly
[email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a body shop work on my drivers door 4 years ago. New striker plate and realignment. $45 bucks...worth it and it's done right and better than factory.

------------------
'91 SE-R, Vail White, 5-speed, LSD, Leather-package, Sunroof, Borbet Type H 15"wheels, Z-rated Dunlop SP5000 tires, Blaupunct RDS Nevada 180 watt CD reciever W/4 Blaupunct factory sized speakers, NR Industries White Face guages w/red indicators, body color factory grille. Never had 5th gear pop-out. Babied 104K miles. NEVER abused, wrecked or smoked in.
Web-page http://community.webtv.net/SentraSE-Rman/My1991ClassicSentra/

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called a dealership to find out how much for the hinges. $38 each!!! What's up with that?

And they recommended that I have a body shop do the work anyways cuz "It's hard to get everything lined up."

I think I'm gonna try makeshift bushings and try to rebuild the hinges myself. I'll let you all know how it works...

------------------
Chad Kelly
[email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckelly71:
I called a dealership to find out how much for the hinges. $38 each!!! What's up with that?

And they recommended that I have a body shop do the work anyways cuz "It's hard to get everything lined up."

I think I'm gonna try makeshift bushings and try to rebuild the hinges myself. I'll let you all know how it works...

</font>
Forget Nissan Dealer parts on this and just go get a free estimate at your local body shop... you will be glad you did.

------------------
'91 SE-R, Vail White, 5-speed, LSD, Leather-package, Sunroof, Borbet Type H 15"wheels, Z-rated Dunlop SP5000 tires, Blaupunct RDS Nevada 180 watt CD reciever W/4 Blaupunct factory sized speakers, NR Industries White Face guages w/red indicators, body color factory grille. Never had 5th gear pop-out. Babied 104K miles. NEVER abused, wrecked or smoked in.
Web-page http://community.webtv.net/SentraSE-Rman/My1991ClassicSentra/

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the lower hinge bolts and placed washers between the hinge and door frame. A bit tedious but it works. You will need to support the door while you work, a block of wood on a jack will do. Not elegant, but cheap.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skid:
I removed the lower hinge bolts and placed washers between the hinge and door frame. A bit tedious but it works. You will need to support the door while you work, a block of wood on a jack will do. Not elegant, but cheap.

</font>

------------------
Chad Kelly
[email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So did you use little washers and fit them in like the original bushings?

Or did you use larger washers that didn't fit down the hole where the bushings went? It's tuff to describe what I'm envisioning but I think either way might work.

------------------
Chad Kelly
[email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the lower hinge between the door jam and the hinge place washer(s), then run the bolt through the hole in the hinge and the washer. This pushes the door out at the bottom and will compensate for sag. I have done so twice, having to use thicker washers the second time. Eventually a better fix will be needed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm probly just gonna call a body shop and get it fixed right the first time, but for the sake of this post, did you just weld the washer into place?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No weld, the washer is removable. The bolt that holds the hinge to the chassis passes through the washer. The washer acts as a spacer. This works if the door is not sagging too badly. It's your call, I'm sure a body shop will do the work.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wanted to make a correction. I looked and it is the portion of the lower hinge that attaches to the door, not the chassis. This will work. Also lubricate the hinges often and well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts