SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides having to drive like grandmom, ofcourse.

i heard you should accelerate from 3->4000rpm as to get decent HP, while avoiding the large fuel consumption that happens when the car is at its torque peak...

and then i've also read somewhere on the archives that you should go heavy on the throttle, but also short-shift it?

and somebody else also said that each engine has a different sweet spot... where it can make good power while using little gas... too bad we dont have a/f meters on our car =/

whats a good technique?

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
I usually shift between 3-4K rpm, using only half throttle. I find that this actually works better than driving like a grandma....shifting at 1500-2K RPM.

I get about 29-31 MPG with 125K miles on my '91 classic.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I usually shift around 3k if I'm just cruising, accelerating a bit slow, trying to save gas. I duuno, to me, it just sorta feels like a natural spot to shift for our motor. If you shift at too low of a point like 2k, you'll end up really low in the rev range in the next gear and bog the motor(very bad, and not good for gas mileage either!).

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spdracerUT:
I usually shift around 3k if I'm just cruising, accelerating a bit slow, trying to save gas. I duuno, to me, it just sorta feels like a natural spot to shift for our motor. If you shift at too low of a point like 2k, you'll end up really low in the rev range in the next gear and bog the motor(very bad, and not good for gas mileage either!).

</font>
i get this weird "rubberband" feel when trying to shift at 3k... like shifting right when the car begins to get into the powerband... it doesn't feel right.

i think nismoser is right, i get better mileage when i beat the car a bit... rather than driving it calm =X

·
Registered
415 Posts
lol, it's rare that I shift at anything before 4k.
I get 23 MPG consistently.

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

1 - 6 of 6 Posts