SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago, Eric(93serpilot) pointed out that some people had used dry ice to pop out small dents in their body work. Until recently, I'd never gotten the chance to try this neat little trick.

I managed to get ahold of 2 chunks the other day and applied them to some small dings and dents to see if it worked. The theory being that the extreme cold of the dry ice and the temperature difference of the metal would cause the dent/ding to "pop" out. It works, to an extent. 3 minor dings I had completely disappeared. 1 dent of about 3 inches on the back drivers side corner corrected to about 1 inch, and a small crease on the door of about 4 inches in length disappeared.

These weren't very noticeable before, and it looks much better now. I wasn't quite sure how to apply the dry ice and exactly where, but it did okay. It probably would have worked better on a hot day(90's) rather than in 50 degree weather. So, I'll try it again when it gets hot.

Just thought I'd share.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Serban, I rubbed on the dings and also the circumference... didn't really know which was appropriate. Problem is, I could make a "case" for either method working... so maybe it doesn't matter. I really do think it'll make a bigger difference when the weather gets hotter and the car's been sitting in the sun.

I'm also thinking of seeing if going at a small dent or ding from inside the panel, rather than just on the outside... we'll see, come May or so.

Another point, too. If you want to get some Dry Ice, try your local supermarket. You may be able do score some for free.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I tried some dry ice on some dings, and it worked a little.

I noticed if the ding has "creased" the metal, it will make the ding shallower, but not take it out. If the dent is completely round, it could help. It's worth trying when a bag of dry ice is only a dollar at the grocery store.

I recommend trying it, but wear gloves. Holding dry ice with bare skin for very long can be like getting frostbite in a hurry. Cold stuff.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
You can accomplish the same thing using a propane torch, but it's a lot tricker and easier to screw up. If you over heat it it'll actually make the dent worse.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
I really need to try this!

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Okay, everyone...do this on a HOT summer day. Let your car bake in the sun and then do this. Will work out great. This is what many body shops do.

The torch thing works great if you know what you are doing. If not, you can make it that much worse. So, I recommend the HotSummerDay bit. Works wonders :D

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
I think I'll try this, however I heard by doing this thins the metal at the applied spots and too much will make a hole rather than fix the dent

·
Banned
543 Posts
Its A Old Trick Works Better On Older Cars But It Will Work Better In Warmer Weather

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
I'll wait til it gets nice and hot errrr I'm in Oregon, better make that nice and warm, then I'll try this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
hummm this is very interesting.
could this also work with like co2? thats a little easier then dryice, but then again i have never tried a super market. who do you go talk to? the fish counter people or something?

i can't wate for warm weather now, i can try to get rid of those 3 little dents that piss me off!

-Dan

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Dry ice *is* co2 :)

Corrosion said:
hummm this is very interesting.
could this also work with like co2? thats a little easier then dryice, but then again i have never tried a super market.
-Dan

·
-John-
690 Posts
The easiest place to get dry ice is an ice cream shop. Last summer I was expiermenting with dry ice bombs and found it at most ice cream shops and party supply stores really cheap.

·
Registered
287 Posts
yea i know dry ice is co2, i did make it through 7th grade science class ;)
i was just wondering if co2 from like a paintball tank would get the job done =P

Dan

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Aaahhh I didn't think about it that way lol. Thats a pretty good question. I wonder what the temperature difference between the 2 forms of co2 is?

Corrosion said:
yea i know dry ice is co2, i did make it through 7th grade science class ;)
i was just wondering if co2 from like a paintball tank would get the job done =P

Dan

·
mhmmm
1,263 Posts
what about the air in the can? if you turn it upside down and spray it out it is co2, that might work?

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
I think you usually apply the heat slowly and gradually from the other side of the panel and watch carefully to see if the dent is getting better or worse. Obviously this wouldn't work on dents that you can't get to the bakside of. I'd do the dry ice technique first and apply it only to the very bottom of the dent if possible, which would be easier from the backside of the dent. You want the metal of the dent to contract but not the surrounding metal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts