SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cheap Bastard
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to talk with Roy Johnson today and pick his brain about dry sump systems. If you ever get the chance to visit his machine shop in Valencia, CA, you'd be in for some of the most interesting aerospace/ automotive discussions around.

With a 90% volumetric efficiency dry sump oil pump (at 100% duty cycle), these Johnson HTP pumps can generate up to 25-29 lbs of vacuum and deliver a constant 40-80 lbs oil pressure. And being so efficient, the gerotor pumps actully cool the oil rather than heat the oil as they are run through these pumps. And this is with synthetic triple zero weight Amsoil.

Now I got a hair up my ass and would like to try it on a SR motor. Trouble is, them pumps cost $2000. But at least he assembles them for you and machines the gears right there for you while you wait! :D

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
narcotix said:
I had the opportunity to talk with Roy Johnson today and pick his brain about dry sump systems. If you ever get the chance to visit his machine shop in Valencia, CA, you'd be in for some of the most interesting aerospace/ automotive discussions around.

With a 90% volumetric efficiency dry sump oil pump (at 100% duty cycle), these Johnson HTP pumps can generate up to 25-29 lbs of vacuum and deliver a constant 40-80 lbs oil pressure. And being so efficient, the gerotor pumps actully cool the oil rather than heat the oil as they are run through these pumps. And this is with synthetic triple zero weight Amsoil.

Now I got a hair up my ass and would like to try it on a SR motor. Trouble is, them pumps cost $2000. But at least he assembles them for you and machines the gears right there for you while you wait! :D
Its all good and drysumps can add up to 10 hp. Just the pump brackets, pulleys, lines cooler filter pan and tank will cost you in the range of 3000-5000 bucks.

Mike

·
Cheap Bastard
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No kidding! We also talked with Jones about this as well and Ernie Elliot freed up about 2-3 average horsepower with some very trick Ti pullies -- U grooved and about an inch wide. The bracketry and pulley system alone would run about $2300 for a common big block Chevy application!!!

Johnson schooled us even on the pan, lines, and resevoir. Turns out, the $250 Stock Car Products resevoir is a junk piece...as with many SCP pieces. It doesn't allow for the evacuation of entrapped air bubbles and aeration when the oil makes its circuit. We have to otherwise cut and weld the whole thing toegether again for proper baffling and swirl generators. I wonder if its really worth it?

He manufactures his own fittings since the available Earls and XRP pieces have too much turbulence machined into them. The transitions between fitting and the housing are radiused and portmatched!

He was showing us that the stacking of tolerances in a 4 stage pump when assembled only led to 0.000005 deviation from pump to pump. I guess you get what you pay for. Sheesh.

So if we add up a custom pan with proper windage and pickup, proper fittings and non-collapsible lines, custom baffled resevoir, a properly sealed motor with vacuum relief fittings on the valve covers, don't need a cooler (the pump runs so efficiently that the pressure drop and extra cooling aren't needed !!!), scavenging from the head, some high zoot clamps for all of the lines, resevoirs, pulleys, brackets, and about a gallon & half of oil, we'd be out about 5 grand!!!!!

I gotta sell more crack.

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
sounds like we need someone to try "the $38 electric oil pump"

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I was wondering if I could also do a $38 oil pump, let me think about it some more. lol

·
Cheap Bastard
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HkSBlueBird4u said:
5k for an oil pump? man this is a worthless thread. unless we sell mad coke.
Hey, no cheapasses allowed. :D This is a "deep pocket" discussion.

I bet you can get a smokin' deal if he built these thing out of wood.

·
Cheap Bastard
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys aren't aiming high enough:

300 HP BTCC SR20 with what looks like a 2 stage dry sump system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts