1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had:
PRCAI, Hotshot G3 header, UR pulley (2)
With stock cams timing was 18 deg
With S3 cams timing was 15 or 13 (showed no difference)

Stock cams Vs. S3 cams dyno

10 whp gain is pretty nice, but it'll be more useful once I get a higher redline.

The dyno chart on SE-R.net shows no loss in torque anywhere, but I do. I think this is the explanation why:

The excel data is eyeballed (OK, I actually put lines on the chart and read as carefully as possible) off of the chart on SE-R.net and my dyno chart, so its not perfect. The S3 cams in my car don't show any losses compared to ROb's car with stock cams. But my car with stock cams is much stronger than his car with stock cams at rpm<5500. But his car with S3 cams is stronger than mine with S3 cams below 6000rpm. I wish I knew why.
Anybody????

This next chart shows wheel torque for my car with stock cams, my car with S3's, and my old car with S3's.

I want to thank Eric W for setting up the dyno day and helping me with the charts. Thanks Eric.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Cool, 143hp to the wheels with CAI, HS header, UR pulleys and s3's. I guess thats around where my car is since I have HS header, CAI, no pulleys, but s4 cams which make somewhat more power over s3's. Thanks for posting, it gives me some insight.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a muffler swap on my car with stock cams. The muffler is Eric's dying Stillen muffler. I think I killed it when I went driving with the S3 cams later that day.

Power gained everywhere, although not a lot. 3hp and 2ft-lbs is okay.

Here is a picture for MarC

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
Here is a picture for MarC

</font>
What da hell, mang? Trying to bite my style, now? Shoot, now it's no longer going to be cool driving an Si-R.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX Si-R
1993 NX2000

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey Jacen, did you get any runs in with the SiR emblem? If so how much of a gain was it.....about 10hp?!? later

------------------
2000 Sentra SE w/PP, JWT POP, timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ser_200sx:
Andy,
I asked you if you minded, remember? Well I would think more like 20 hp.

</font>
Yeah... I remember... That's where the
came in. But I just want all of you to know who the original SR20-powered Si-R was.

Oh, and FYI, it gives you 50hp... equivalent to a stock boost T25, dammit!

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX Si-R
1993 NX2000

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 03-31-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Hell I was there the second he put it on he went from a 15.2 -13.5 all because of that sir sticker. breathtaking isnt it. then we tried it on mine And it fixed my ignition probs and took 2 seconds off mine too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
Yeah... I remember... That's where the
came in. But I just want all of you to know who the original SR20-powered Si-R was.

Oh, and FYI, it gives you 50hp... equivalent to a stock boost T25, dammit!

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX Si-R
1993 NX2000

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 03-31-2001).]
</font>

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts

Jacen,

This is my Dyno. I have the pulleys (4), G3 Header, S3 cams, CAI, and Custom Exhaust. 147.1 hp and 132 lb/ft of torque. Lowered the timing on the cams from 18 to 15 and it helped. With an exhaust you will gain the extra 4 hp. Yes, exhausts give you the least ban for the buck. Sad.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hey Jacen, did you get any runs in with the SiR emblem? If so how much of a gain was it.....about 10hp</font>
There was more testing I wanted to do but I was out of time. The sticker felt like more than 10hp, and it probably added 30 ft-lbs of torque because I just keep smoking one wheel...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Naji,
Thanks for posting your chart. I am suprised that you didn't break 150 whp. I really think that there is more than 4hp tied up in the stock exhaust. But I'll find out for sure later this year by dyno testing mine after I complete it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You're welcome Jacen. Wish we could have swapped the entire Catback. I KNOW the b-pipe would have perked up the cams even more! ;-) Now, if we could just drop your cams into my car.....

CB

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I KNOW the b-pipe would have perked up the cams even more!</font>
Yep. I just want to see how the powerband changes from stock to full catback. Mike G. mentioned he might sell his already-modified Courtesy b-pipe to go full 3" cat-back, but he might have just been teasing me. (Mike, if you replied to my email I never got it)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Now, if we could just drop your cams into my car....</font>
If you would have been there I would have done it. I'd like to see it on your car with full bolt on and the AEBS, then compare it to mine later with full bolt on and the G3 Hotshot. You'd take it for a test drive and never come back!

[This message has been edited by jacen99SE (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll take a stab at my own question since no one else has.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">his car with S3 cams is stronger than mine with S3 cams below 6000rpm. I wish I knew why??</font>
The S3 comparison against Rob's car uses the stock exhaust. Rob had the stock b13 b-pipe (which is still better than the b14 stock b-pipe) and a hotshot muffler. I think some of the low end difference is here. Testing last year showed this:

This dyno is from last year with the old car with S3's, and swaps the stock muffler for Chris Bryant's Courtesy muffler (thanks Chris). While conventional wisdom says the exhaust is restrictive at high rpm's, our stock muffler seems to suck everywhere.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep, it would be the longest test drive I've ever been on!

Perhaps we'll have that comparison on paper one day, but not any time soon - closing on first house this month.

CB

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
I'll take a stab at my own question since no one else has.
The S3 comparison against Rob's car uses the stock exhaust. Rob had the stock b13 b-pipe (which is still better than the b14 stock b-pipe) and a hotshot muffler. I think some of the low end difference is here.
</font>
I think you are comparing your car to Rob Cadle, if so, then read on, if it's another Rob, then just disregard this.

The difference is the port design of the engines. Rob's car is a 91, with the high port engine (I think this is right, I get them mixed up). Your car has the other port design.

This would account for the differnces.

And everyone knows the older port designs are better.

-Jay

[This message has been edited by jayntguru (edited 04-29-2001).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts