SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here are my results for the manifolds..
All runs were equal at:
17 degrees timing
15 psi/ 1.05 bar
42 psi of fuel pressure using 110 octane
TO4E/T3 .82 turbine Stage II W/.50 compressor
3 bar ECU w/50lb. injectors

1st baseline run: Stock manifold 9:05:22 AM
271.9 hp @ 5800 rpm
266.7 ft/lb @ 5200 rpm

2nd baseline run: Stock manifold 9:10:40 AM
301.9 hp @ 5900 rpm
288.5 ft/lb @ 5100 rpm

3rd baseline run: Stock manifold 9:12:40 AM
286.0 hp @ 6000 rpm
281.2 ft/lb @ 4900 rpm

4th run: Stage I Intake manifold 9:51:44 AM
320.4 hp @ 6500 rpm
281.9 ft/lb @ 5400 rpm

A 34.4 hp increase over stock!

5th run: Stage I Intake manifold 9:52:54 AM
316.7 hp @ 6500 rpm
279.0 ft/lb @ 5400 rpm

6th run: Stage II Intake manifold 10:31:10 AM
321.2 hp @ 6500 rpm
285.1 ft/lb @ 5300 rpm

This was my last run for unobvious reasons. The motor let go at 6800-7000rpm's. It made a "THUNK" noise and the car died while I still had my foot to floor. I literally cried at the dyno. My heart hit the floor. But I thought, "Been there, done that!" I smiled and sucked it in. More on this in another post.

I was very pleased with the Stage I unit. Simply bolting it on made 34hp!
The Stage II at first didn't impress me at first. I thought that it was a total waste of time. I then carefully looked at the print out sheets measured by the 100 rpm increment. The Stage II outperformed the Stage I at from 7000 - 7500 rpm by over 15hp!
The Stage I tended to fall off, but the Stage II kept on pulling and probably would've performed better if the motor didn't give. The next time out, I'll increase the fuel pressure to at least 45 psi.
I still have to upgrade to the 4 bar program and install either S4's or Jun cams with cam gears. I still have a lot of room for improvement regarding upgrades to the motor.
I have the actual dynojet charts. Please email me and I will send them to you. I'll also have pics available with me at the dyno.
Success! Also, please email me with any questions. Thanks.
Send money for the motor
!

[This message has been edited by Big Boost (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Sweet, I can't wait to see the numbers on Greg's nitrous manifold and Mike's Stage one mani.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg's manifold is done. However, there are some things that need to be sorted out.
Put it like this, I now understand why no one offers a manifold for the SR20! It's simply incredible how many obstacles there are to overcome with the highport engines. The lowport seems to be another nightmare, but nothing is impossible.
Mike K's Stage II manifold should produce better numbers because he has a larger turbo, injectors and has the 4 bar program. If I gained 34hp, he could easily get 40 plus hp. Remember, I'm only running 15psi but I am satisfied with the Stage I & II dyno numbers. More testing will come later once the motor is back together.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell I'm happy about the results? Well, not about you blowing up your engine, Rob. No, no, no.

I know this was a monster turbo engine and all, but the results are impressive nonetheless. I am happy. If we generate numbers anywhere close to this on my nitrous engine, then we're doing just fine.

In fact, Rob, I think I WILL SEND MONEY for your engine. It's in the form of my balance on the intake manifold you're building for me right now

Which (screw PayPal) will be coming to you via USPS tomorrow. You should have the balance by Saturday at the latest.

Rob, I'm happy with the numbers, even on a turbo engine. Nitrous should behave in a similar fashion, although not putting out those kinds of numbers.

Money is ON THE WAY, Rob.

Finish my manifold and make me a happy, happy man!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
You have mail. Nice work! and sorry to hear about the motor going.

Do you have any idea why the stock intake manifold runs were so inconsistent?

Where these dyno runs with the stock cams? EEEwwwww

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Put it like this, I now understand why no one offers a manifold for the SR20! It's simply incredible how many obstacles there are to overcome with the highport engines. The lowport seems to be another nightmare, but nothing is impossible.
</font>
Anything we can help with?

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I guess it's the price I decided to pay by trying to provide a product that no one really offered.
The motor was (past tense) totally stock! No cams, porting/polishing, forged pistons, etc. It was an uncalculated error on my behalf. I should've added a bit more fuel pressure for the larger Stage II. It was a costly mistake, but I learned my lesson. Power fell off by 6.5 grand each run. I should've changed the redline from 7800 down to 7K after the three baseline runs.
We couldn't explain why the first three runs were so inconsistent. That's why the operator let me do another baseline instead of two. The middle one was an anomoly.

Well, after the motor went I could only think
of adding more fuel via 4 bar and air via cams. Not to mention reliability with a built engine!

As far as help is concerned, I'll let you all know when I'm absolutely stuck. Thanks.

Oh yeah, look out for Stage III coming soon!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Great to see that you finally posted some dyno numbers! This looks like a great item for those of us with big HP turbo setups. I would imagine that I will buy one once I get the rest of my turbo system up to spec. Do you have any idea why your car broke? Rod through the block?

Lyn

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can only guess right now. Seeing that I've been down this road before, the weak link in the SR20 are the ringlands. I'm sure that one or two are cracked. I believe that I may have ran lean for a moment and that is all it takes. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I do a leak down test followed by a compression check.

·
Registered
858 Posts
great news congrats! sorry about your motor dude.I hope to see what n/a looks like. compared to my etrude honed highport manifold.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/4"ID test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4"ID superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have some dyno runs for a NA platform soon. We just finished a manifold for Greg Perry and another for a '91 SE-R.
I'll keep you in touch.

------------------

321.2 HP @ 6500RPM
285.1 ft/lb @ 5300 RPM
3 bar Program w/50lb injectors
TO4E/T3 Stage II
Needs a built bottom end!

[This message has been edited by Big Boost (edited 10-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Big Boost (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't guarantee any significant dyno numbers for the NA manifold. But based on my dyno runs, I think it looks very promising. I'm excited to get it to Greg for testing.

------------------
321.2 HP @ 6500RPM
285.1 ft/lb @ 5300 RPM
TO4E/T3 Stage II

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I won't be NA for long. I'm getting my nitrous setup this weekend.

------------------
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"I need NOS!"
A little laughing gas is indeed a good thing. What system are you going to be using? What shot are you starting off with? I am very curious to see how much power the manifold will produce with NOS. I think that a 20hp increase should be attainable. We'll soon see.

------------------
321.2 HP @ 6500RPM
285.1 ft/lb @ 5300 RPM
TO4E/T3 Stage II

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hey Big Boost, i thought for JWT turbo program you should always set the timing at 15, some guy at e-town gained extra 20hp from changing 17-15...do you know something someone like me doesnt?

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
You will have another order if Greg gains over 15hp with his nitrous motor. Thank's for doing this for the commmunity.

------------------

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you use race gas, you can usually advance the timing because of the slower flame propengation which reduces the chance of detonation. If I could've found 116 octane (C16), I would have advanced it to 20 degrees. You can also lean out the fuel psi a few pounds as well, provided you do indeed use race gas.
When I am using regular 93 octance, I keep the timing at 15 degrees. My next dyno run I will have the 4 bar program and cams & I will then re-establish a new baseline. Then I'll have 116 octane, 20 psi of boost & 20 degrees timing. I should be able to produce 400whp or higher!

------------------
321.2 HP @ 6500RPM
285.1 ft/lb @ 5300 RPM
TO4E/T3 Stage II

G

·
0 Posts
nice job on the intake manifold.

hey ryan what kind of nitrous setup are you getting.
BTW, I finally have my GC/AGX on ! pop me an email man !

Art - 97 Teal SE-R
gc/agx/gen3 header/s4's/ecu/2.25piping/pr cai/smc s/s //15.040 @ 93.5 with 2.394 60

1 - 20 of 58 Posts