SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you dynomax advocators out there, i was wondering whether or not you guys got the mufflers with the offset or the center inlet?? My nx2k has the stock muffler still and it has the offset inlet. Do i need to stick with the offset or can i go center?? thanks in advance.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoNx2000:
Hey all you dynomax advocators out there, i was wondering whether or not you guys got the mufflers with the offset or the center inlet?? My nx2k has the stock muffler still and it has the offset inlet. Do i need to stick with the offset or can i go center?? thanks in advance.

</font>
Doesn't matter if you get a center inlet or offset inlet muffler. The offset muffler would probably make it easier to bend a pipe straight up to the mid-pipe flange. For what it's worth, my Dynomax muffler has an offset inlet.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoNx2000:

</font>

It does make a difference. Make sure you get a L/S inlet with the words on the bottom of the muffler. I got the R/S inlet and had to turn the muffler upside down to make it work. I think is is supposed to be that way.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh well, i decided to go with the bosal, its stainless steel inside and out and it has a nice 3.5 inch tip and its got a straight through perforated core.
Ill let you guys know how it sounds when i get it installed.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
My dynomax is a little loud and buzzy. I've got the super turbo muffler. My friend had an ultraflo on his SE-R and it droned really bad.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
He sold his car. Don't glasspacks actually increase backpressure. A nice resonator should take care of the droning without increasing backpressure.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Don't glasspacks actually increase backpressure.</font>
Not the perforated core type. I'm using a Thrush glasspack. Perforated core and it doesn't cause any additional backpressure.
Now the ones that do have the louvres inside. And those can cause extra backpressure.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000
http://www.geocities.com/socalserca/Homepage.html
http://www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html
http://sites.netscape.net/napsz/importgarage

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Thomas

I am getting ready to put a Thrush 20" on my G20 next Friday as a resonator. Do you know what the estimated lifespan of one of those is before it rusts through? I am in Ohio in case weather is an issue with the timespan.

Thanks!

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
8,148 Posts
NismoPC said:
Thomas

I am getting ready to put a Thrush 20" on my G20 next Friday as a resonator. Do you know what the estimated lifespan of one of those is before it rusts through? I am in Ohio in case weather is an issue with the timespan.

Thanks!

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees)
So how is this holding up because my Greddy midpipe is going bad! How much did you remember paying?

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Pretty White said:
So how is this holding up because my Greddy midpipe is going bad! How much did you remember paying?
Not too shabby. So far the Thrush has some surface rust on the ends where the flanges were welded on, but overall, it is still doing its job.

I am considering purchasing a Magnaflow 4" round muffler to replace the Thrush when I get around to it. The 4" round muffler is just that. A straight through muffler, not glasspack. Only prob' is it's around $60. So, I think the $14.99 Thrush is doing just fine for me now. Hehehe!

I just had a new rear stainless piping section made with a Magnaflow 18" Stainless can to replace the 14" Borla Turbo. I can't say enough how much I am loving this setup. Sounds nice and quiet during my daily drive and roars deep on heavy throttle. In cabin resonance is minimal as is freeway droning. :D

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
focus said:
I have a Magnaflo on my Focus nice rumble. What model magnaflo did you get for the NX? How much was it?
If your asking me, I sold my NX2000 a year ago and it had a 2" cat-back Borla turbo.

I installed a Magnaflow on my G20. I went with the Magnaflow SS #14255.
Specs:
Stainless Steel
2.25" in/out
center/offset.
Beautiful polished stainless muffler.

It cost me $71.40 + $11.33 (shipping) = $82.73.

That is not much more than the aluminized and it is a 18" long 5"x8" can. Good size and fits real nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts