SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought this header off Ebay brand new. The problem im having is that I can not get it to stop leaking. Where the header and downpipe meet. I have tried everything. Here is a pic and I circle in red where it is leaking. Has anyone had a problem like this or does anyone know what i can do to fix it.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Did you line everything up to make sure that everything sat flush before you put it on? If so and that was good. Then all you need to do is make sure the surfaces, and gasket are clean and throw them on. I hit mine with an Impact gun and everything has been sealed up lovely for over2 years now...

791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you line everything up to make sure that everything sat flush before you put it on? If so and that was good. Then all you need to do is make sure the surfaces, and gasket are clean and throw them on. I hit mine with an Impact gun and everything has been sealed up lovely for over2 years now...
I was going to hit it with a impact gun but the guy at the exhaust shop talked me out of doing that. Yea i lined everything up and made sure it was nice and clean. I will hit it with the impact this weekend and see what it does for me.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Why did he talk you out of it? The bolts that come with the header are made to be hard as ****. The worse thing that could happen is you Tq them down to heavy and one snaps. But I doubt that would ever happen. Even if it did though it would be as simple as going to the harware store and getting another Nut and bolt.

791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why did he talk you out of it? The bolts that come with the header are made to be hard as sh*t. The worse thing that could happen is you Tq them down to heavy and one snaps. But I doubt that would ever happen. Even if it did though it would be as simple as going to the harware store and getting another Nut and bolt.
he told me that putting it on with a impact gun might damage the flage? Figured he knew what he was talking about. I will try that one day after work this weekend.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Was he slow??? LOL that flange is thick as ****. Screwing down a nut and bolt tight damaging the flange is somthing I cant see happening

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
you will break the bolt before you warp that flange by using an impact gun. I would make sure that the surface area on the flanges are not warped. If they are warped, you can have them machined

·
BarnieSe-R
355 Posts
yeah i got the same ones in my b14 and they dont leak the only problem you might run into is the bolt that goes in the inside but other than that they work great

·
-
3,560 Posts
Back when I has a HS, I only used copper gaskets.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I bought the same one. I noticed that the center of the flanges was higher than the edge. I was going to grind it flat but forgot. No leaks except the muffler flange, got to go catback now. The rear O2 sensor doesn't fit for the B15s by the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts