SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to run a diagnostic on my ECU for my '93 NX-R (SR20DE) using info I've found for NX's from various tutorials. I've pulled out the ECU but I can't locate the screw that is meant to be next to the red LED to start the testing. Anyone know what the deal is?

The top image is a ECU from a 180sx with a CA18DET (with the screw). The bottom image is of my ECU.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The diagnostics screw should be clearly visible in the large hole to the left of the diagnostic LED.

From your picture, it appears that yours is missing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the clear sticker has never been removed before. I opened the ECU up to see if the screw had been pushed though or something. There is nothing on the board where the screw should be except two small holes. I'll post a pic when I can.

·
8,148 Posts
That is truly wierd. The clear plastic can be removed carefully and pasted back on. I do that to my Maxima everytime my wife drives thru big puddles and soaks the O2 sensor. Got to reset the light. Maybe the previous owner messed it up?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dont worry too much man, my ECU is the same as yours is. I think you will find all the AUS sr20s dont have that screw. There is another way to check the codes, it involves shorting out 2 pins on the consult connector in the fuse box. The pulsar forums have some info on this.

BTW: How much does it suck to pull out all the trim to get to the ECU to find that there is no screw on there :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agreed on that one (pulling out the trims part). After reading this thread i went and pulled out mine as well... and i couldn't find the screw, i'm from Aus, so that may have something to do with it.

Is there another way to replace that screw thing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I also posted this question in the “general SR20” section as I wasn’t getting any responses to this thread at the start. I ended up searching the PGA website the other night and came across some instructions for how to short out the consult port.

If you pull the cover off your lower dash where the fuses are... there's a grey diagnostic plug that Nissan dealers plug their Consult tool into.

You can manually put the car into diagnostic mode to read any error codes by performing the following steps.

Be Very Careful!!!!! If you blow up your ECU, it's not my fault!!!!
N14 SR20DE/DET only!!! I haven't checked if the others are the same.

1. Turn the ignition on, do not start the car (all dash warning lights on)

2. Using a thin wire (I use a paper clip bent into a U shape) short out the top 2 right most pins for 1/2 a second. (Top right!!!! Both pins on the top row, right most!!!)

3. This will flash the orange Check Engine light with the ECU's error codes if there are any. First slow flashes are for the 1st digit and the second set of fast flashes are for the 2nd digit.

4. Turn off the ignition to reset.

Codes:
11 : Crank angle sensor circuit
12 : Air flow meter circuit
13 : Engine temperature sensor circuit
21 : Ignition signal circuit
34 : Detonation sensor circuit
43 : Throttle position sensor circuit
55 : No malfunction in the above circuits

If in doubt, do not short anything out and take it to your Nissan dealer!!!

Good luck!!
Gerard
This was posted by GT2540 from http://forum.pulsar.org.au

Anyway mine came back all good. And yes it was a bit of a bitch pulling out the ECU for no real reason. I guess at least now I know a little bit more about my car.

Also found the main unit for an old Ericsson mobile phone car kit tucked away in there - don't know what phone it was for though. I knew it had one because the arial is still attached to the window. One day I'll get around to removing it. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
So did you get any codes back from the shorting version?

I found a half-installed alarm in my NX when I bought it, as well as the usual change under the rear seat :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts