SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dynoed my wife's '97 SE-R today with some ECU testing thrown in. her car has a '91 intake cam, HS 2nd gen header, JWT POP, and Stillen muffler. I tested my JWT ECU, her OE ECU, and a '95 G20 ECU. I tested the JWT at 15 deg and 17 deg. Both the Nissan and G20 ECUs were tested at 17 and 19 deg. Her car only runs 93 octane gas. Now for the results:

Run #8 is JWT, run #13 is Nissan, and run#17 is G20

that is OE @17 and G20 @ 19. The OE didn't show any gain @ 19 so I left it @ 17.

Here is the G20 vs the OE vs the JWT

I'm calling JWT Monday to find out what's wrong. Her car is in excelent condition. It always gets the service it needs at teh correct time. The spark plugs were chaged @ 55,000, and the car has 62k now.

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
hmmm...

yeah please do post after you talk to JWT. I'm currently running the ECU and have noticed a tremendous SOTP difference but those dyno charts there make me wonder....

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
How long had the ECU's been in the car? did you swap all three back to back? I mean, I know our ecu's 'learn' the setup but I have never done much research beyond knowing that...
and I believe that you ran the JWT ecu first since it is a lower run number? Or did you do a whole bunch of pulls on each ecu and it just so happens that they appear in the order they appear numerically?

david lau

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The JWT ECU was dynoed first. The car already had 5 or 6 runs from 2 years ago. The JWT was in the car for about 1 week before the dyno testing. After each ECU was put in, the car was driven on the dyno for 1 minute so the ECU could learn.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I installed the g20 ecu I felt better throttle response. Though i didnt want to say anything because its hard to prove and i didnt believe myself. But now after seeing these dyno charts im shocked.

Maybe i should go get it dynoed?

Mindset

·
Registered
765 Posts
those results look mega low for the mods. I have same mods (with lesser brands even lol) Does ur car need a tuneup?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ECU is for my '96. My wife's is a '97. Both manuals. The spark plugs were changed less than 10k with NGK plats from Courtesy. The air filter could use a cleaning, but its not black or anything. The cap and rotor have not been changed. The fuel filter was changed at 30k. O2 sensor is original. The car has 62k now, and gets 32MPG. What else is needed for a tune up, besides what's already mentioned? That's all I can think of.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
What else is needed for a tune up, besides what's already mentioned?
-PCV valve. Easy to overlook.
-Clean throttle body. Worth it, even on my Pathfinder it made a difference.
-Cap and rotor, DEFINITELY (you'd be surprised the difference it'll make)
-Spark plug wires (made a HUGE difference on mine)
-O2 sensor (again, nice difference on mine)

Those are all that I can think of right now.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But would wires on a 62k mile car be bad? I do the cap and rotor soon. I thought O2 sensors were good for 100k.

·
Old
744 Posts
This is a stupid quesiton but I have to ask.
Which dino chart is for which ECU. I don't see the #s you were talking about. Don't flame please!

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2nd paragraph:

Run #8 is JWT, run #13 is Nissan, and run#17 is G20

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Eric;

Spark plug wires go bad gradually, and you don't really notice it. Then, when you do put new ones on....whammo!....you realize how bad the ones you just took off were.

When I changed mine over to the Accels, the difference was amazing. The wires I had (NGK) had gradually gone bad, and I didn't notice it.

As for O2 sensors...you never know. They're expensive for tune-up parts, though. Try the lower-cost things first, IMHO.

=GP=

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered a new cap, rotor, and wires for my wife's '97, so we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just did. I'm emailing Ben @ JWT my dyno charts for both cars with all the mods on each. He also wanted the chip version code to see what program it has. I'll post the results.

·
zoom-zoom driver
576 Posts
That is really interesting to me too...I was planning a JWT swap...that dyno makes me think twice. I mean, even if the car was in top shape, dont you think the JWT would have at least made more of a difference than the G20? Interesting...And how come the JWT #'s are even lower than stock??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.