SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Beware....THE BEAR!!
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to send my ecu to be reprogrammed, but i'm not going to send the one I need to drive the car, so I'm looking for a second ecu. I have a couple of questions. Where can I find a good cheap ecu? And second, I called a couple of places but they all need the part number from the ecu that is in the car. So my second question is where on the car is the ecu, so I can look at it and get the number? Please help

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
you can only use a 95-97 SE-R ECU in 98-2000 SR20 vehicles for the JWT ECU upgrade. The ECU should be underneath the center console between that & the firewall... I'd find one in the Classifieds or a junk yard. You can also use a 95-96 G20 ECU...

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
98SERwTricks said:
you can only use a 95-97 SE-R ECU in 98-2000 SR20 vehicles for the JWT ECU upgrade. The ECU should be underneath the center console between that & the firewall... I'd find one in the Classifieds or a junk yard. You can also use a 95-96 G20 ECU...

Are you sure? I was under the impression that you can send a 94-96 G20 ECU to be reprogrammed for your 98 (since alot of guys get the G20 ECU first then get the JWT)

·
Beware....THE BEAR!!
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do I need an older ecu to go in my 98 SE? I'm a noob, but I just figured I would want an ecu for my specific model. Should I get a g20 ecu then, or the ecu mentioned for the se-r. I want send it to jgy to have it reprogrammed. Let me know anymore info you can on these and any junkyards or websites where I can find one. Thanks

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
budsang1 said:
Why do I need an older ecu to go in my 98 SE? I'm a noob, but I just figured I would want an ecu for my specific model. Should I get a g20 ecu then, or the ecu mentioned for the se-r. I want send it to jgy to have it reprogrammed. Let me know anymore info you can on these and any junkyards or websites where I can find one. Thanks

You don't need an older one - but putting in the 94-96 G20 ECU will raise your redline in your 98 SE to 7500rpms *and* remove the speed governor. It's a great mod and it's very cheap, I have one myself in my 98 SE.

You can use either one of those or a 95-97 200sx SE-R ECU to be reprogrammed for your car.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
I think you are a little confused. The reason you need to use an older ECU, is becaue Jim Wolf Technology (JWT) is the actual company that will be "retuning" your ECU. You need a core for JWT to send you an ECU or you'll have to pay an extra $500 or so. The ECU's of the 98-99 SR20 powered cars have not been "cracked" by JWT due to a newer OBD program. The hack is to use a 95-97 SE-R ECU (which has an older OBD program). There is some wiring/splicing involved, I think. Or if you are only interested in a higher redline and removed speed governor, you can use a 94-96 G20 (like Storm88000 posted).

·
Beware....THE BEAR!!
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the ecu easy to remove and reinstall? Would an older ecu install just like the one that came in it?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
budsang1 said:
Is the ecu easy to remove and reinstall? Would an older ecu install just like the one that came in it?

It's the easiest mod of them all to install, it's easier than changing your oil. It's one 10mm nut you loosen to remove the harness on the ECU, stick it in the new ECU, tighten the bolt and you're done.

The B13 and B14 harnesses are different so you need the correct one for the car.

·
Beware....THE BEAR!!
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a difference in the ecu of a auto and manual. My se is an auto. So do I then need to find an ecu out of an auto 95-96 g20 or 96-97 ser?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts