1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month I have enough money to do one of the following:

1) Upgrade to the JWT ECU

or

2) Upgrade to the JWT headers

Does it matter which one I do first? If not, I would rather get the ECU and get it over with(you know, because it is so expensive).

BTW, I already have the JWT POP and a custom (homemade) catback with 2.25 piping, and with future plans include the S3 cams and UR pullies.

Any suggestions from you experts? Any advice? Thanks in advance, oh great ones....

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
Anyone else in Houston?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Ok, let me jump on this.

Get the headers first.

Why? I say save the ECU for last. That way you can save money by getting the S3/S4 cam protocol ECU at the same time, since you said you want to get S3's.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, Timing @ 19, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/ Pirelli P700Z's

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
buy the ecu, send it to me, and I will buy you a header....

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the ECU is customized to fit whatever you have on it at the time. Without the ECU, how bad will S3's idle? Is it neccessary to have both for everything to run good?

Sorry to have so many ****ing questions, but this board is the only interactive source of information for me. All my friends Neons or Integras.....

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
Racing Floormats
Oversized Muffler Belts
Ground Down Mirror Frames
RedLine Blinker Fluid
Sliding Rear Glass

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
No the idle is not bad at all without the ECU. It's barely noticeable if you have the stock exhaust and your idle speed is above say 850 rpms.

The s4's on the other hand....with ES mounts, and a low idle of like 600...SUCKS w/o the ECU!!

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, Timing @ 19, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/ Pirelli P700Z's

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I can't even tell the diffrence between the stock cams and the s3s now...

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Get the ecu 1st! I say this because you have a better understanding of the effect other mods have in comparison to stock. Like once I had gotten around to adding my ecu cams and exhaust I was really chasing completion of the popular mods I had read about, But now that I think about all the mods I have, their are some that I would have given a second thought to. Like When I added the Greddy exhaust 2.5,I noticed my car draggs more on excelleration than with stock pipe 2.25. Jim Wolf explained that he did not recommend piping as large as 2.5 and that my car will in fact perform better with 2.25 mandrel bent piping. Besides the ecu is the most complicated of needed mods because of the core swapp. This in most cases involves down time along with added cost totaling $1,000.00plus shipping. I would say get the ecu then the other mods as you go along. intake and headers 2nd. Pullies an cams 3rd. Suspension if needed and exhaust last.

Nigel
95G20t/AUTO
Stillen/header/intake JWT/ecu/S3cams Greddy/MX exhaust.

[This message has been edited by paradyme (edited 02-15-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you can avoid the whole downtime issue if you have enough credit to charge the core to along with the ECU. Then all you have to do is make sure you send back your old one, fast!

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
Racing Floormats
Oversized Muffler Belts
Ground Down Mirror Frames
RedLine Blinker Fluid
Sliding Rear Glass

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
If you even think you gonna go turbo, don't get either, save money cause you will have to loose the header and reprogram the ecu if you do!

just my 0.02

-saaby

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is easy. Go header and advance your timing. Yes advanced timing is not *as* good as a JWT ECU but your only talking a few ponys.

This way you get the header, and 3/4 of the power that the ECU would give with a timing bump.

While your at it remove or drill large holes in the lower airbox for another quick 5hp or so.

Add a cat back and it will open the car up a bit more.

Add Cams/ECU and luuugout!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts