SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from what i know..you need to get your ECU reprogrammed for a turbo setup..im swapping out a 91 sr20de and putting in the BB det...now i need to get my ecu reprogrammed correct?..and how much does jwt do it for?..i havent called yet..thanks guys

G

·
The retail price for the JWT ECU is $595.

As for using a BB ECU, you can use it, but only if you also have the BB MAF. If you *do not* have the BB MAF, then you will need either a stock SR20DE MAF, Cobra MAF, or Maxima MAF, etc...and the JWT ECU. Don't bother with a Super AFC (here we go again).

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
holy hell that is a kick in the balls...i didnt know it would cost THAT much to get reprogrammed...here i was thinking ill have this done by the end of summer..no way..i still need to order a clutch too..jesus...but another question...since i need to get a JWT ECU, when i see JWT ecu's for sale used..would that work, or could they be reprogrammed for somehitng differnent, im guessing this is true meaning i must pay the 600 to get my ecu reprogrammed for the turbo..correct?..also..if i use the Bb MAF to begine with since i definatly wont have enough to go with the cobra MAF right off, do i need to get it reprogrammed again or will the ECU recognize the differnece?..any info is a help...thanks..scott

·
Registered
230 Posts
From what i've heard, it's 595 for the initial purchase of the JWT ECU. If you want it retuned for Turbo or cams.. it's 100 bux for the retune. Not 595 for a retune. That would be gay.

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kjopi -sleeper-:
you could always find a BB ECU...it'll work in your car as well...just keep in mind that it won't be as efficient as the JWT one will be.

</font>
Why won't a det ecu work as good as a JWT ecu? You people swear Jim Wolf is F-ing god! You can get a stock det ecu and MAF (cheaper than the JWT setup might I add) and run it on your car and it would be better than the JW program, with the cobra MAF because it was factory made to run on the engine.
Were getting a unichip piggyback programed to our det. It's a stand alone that connects between the wires coming into the ECU.

G

·
since i need to get a JWT ECU, when i see JWT ecu's for sale used..would that work,

***Only if it is already programmed for turbo use, along with the same MAF and injectors you will be running. You *can* buy a used JWT NA ECU and have it reprogrammed for turbo use for $100. For example, buy a used JWT NA ECU for around $400 or so. Send your stock ECU back to the person that sold you his JWT ECU. Now, send the JWT ECU to JWT and pay $100 to reprogram it for your specific setup. Now, you have spent $500 plus 4 shipping charges of about $10 each. So, you have spent about $540 for a used ECU. At $595 for a new one, it is not a bad deal after all. By the way, I mentioned that the JWT ECU *retails* for $595. I did not say that it costs $595. If you call JWT ready to buy, you can ask for a better deal and they will normally give it to you.

also..if i use the Bb MAF to begine with since i definatly wont have enough to go with the cobra MAF right off, do i need to get it reprogrammed again or will the ECU recognize the differnece?.

***Any changes to the MAF, injectors, or fuel pressure will require the ECU to reprogrammed.

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R

G

·
You people swear Jim Wolf is F-ing god!

***I guess you haven't heard....for Nissan tuning, he is :)

You can get a stock det ecu and MAF (cheaper than the JWT setup might I add)

***A lot of times, you have a 50/50 chance of getting the MAF with the motor. Most motors I have seen have had the shift linkage, wiring harness, axles, etc...including the rubber intake hose cut off with a plasma cutter. Usually, the stock BB DET airbox and MAF stay in the chassis and you do not get it.

and run it on your car and it would be better than the JW program,

***In what way?

with the cobra MAF because it was factory made to run on the engine.

***That doesn't mean anything. A Cobra MAF and a stock BB DET MAF are both just pieces of metal, with a resistor inside. They both have certain characteristics to them that can be measured and compared. All it takes is a little math to figure out how much air a Cobra MAF will flow and what amount of fuel will be needed to meet the demands. It works just as well as the "factory" setup.

Were getting a unichip piggyback programed to our det.

***Why? What is the need for that?

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well for all you JWT player haters (SR20 B12) this is what you are up against. #1 you will have a 115 mph speed cut on your computer. #2 The stock BB computer is designed for richer mixtures. #3 The BB computer runs a under agresive timing curve. #4 Your rev limiter is 7500. #5 The BB O2 sensor is diffrent from the US O2 sensor. What does it all mean. The BB comp will work but for the money the JWT Comp will be a much better investment than adding all your little add on gadgets. By the time u fix everything I listed you would have spent more money with your little add ons and you wil still be doing guess work on the tuning. Good lick and have fun.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info guys..so it sounds like a good idea if i wait getting the ECU reprogrammed until i have a cobra MAF ( which brings another question, what year Cobra do we use the MAF off of?, is this a mustang cobra?) and new cams....would i need to get it reprgrammed if i change turbos as well, from a t25 to a t28? , my guess yes..but just to make sure..thanks alot..

·
Registered
230 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sr20 B12:
Why won't a det ecu work as good as a JWT ecu? You people swear Jim Wolf is F-ing god! You can get a stock det ecu and MAF (cheaper than the JWT setup might I add) and run it on your car and it would be better than the JW program, with the cobra MAF because it was factory made to run on the engine.
Were getting a unichip piggyback programed to our det. It's a stand alone that connects between the wires coming into the ECU.
</font>
Nobody said the JDM BB DET ECU doesn't work better than a JWT Turbo ECU. The main reason people get JWT ECU's reprogrammed for BB DET's is because maybe they didn't get the JDM BB DET MAF.

Don't knock JWT because they provided an alternative for those who didn't get the JDM BB DET MAF w/ their motor, and don't knock people for trusting them for ECU tuning. And how do you know the JDM BB ECU is gonna make the engine run better than JWT's ECU? JWT modifies the timing and fuel curves do they not? Just because it came fromt he factory doesn't always mean it's better.

Have fun w/ the stand-alone system. Fill us in on your results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unichips aren't a standalone ecu, just a glorified S-ITC and S-AFC rolled into one. They give very mixed results with a DET ecu, I wouldn't want to try one with a DE ecu.

Problem with the standard DET ecu is that it has a panic attack once it sees more than about 10psi and starts dumping fuel, expect to see ratios in the 9's - 10's.

You can get a Haltech and all the bits for about 1200, not that much more than many of the other options but lightyears apart in end result.

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
I give the Super AFC two thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by v8killer:
The retail price for the JWT ECU is $595.

As for using a BB ECU, you can use it, but only if you also have the BB MAF. If you *do not* have the BB MAF, then you will need either a stock SR20DE MAF, Cobra MAF, or Maxima MAF, etc...and the JWT ECU. Don't bother with a Super AFC (here we go again).

</font>

------------------

Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Speedpro coming soon bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. Equal length stainless steel manifold. Fortified Tranny. DAMN VILLIANS.

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
Everyone that I know and have swapped with, that runs the JWT ecu always have fuel problems. In all cases the ecu have been programed rich and the fuel delivery is uneven.

SeattleSE R, the stock ecu and the stock maf does work better than the JWT set up. My father's friend Henry had the JWT ecu program and the cobra MAF. He said that the car would cut out and buckle down at low RPM and was running rich. My father let him use one of our GTi-R ecu and MAF and the car run great without any problems.

IMOA, the uni-chip that I'm getting is a standalone system, that can be programed from software on your private laptop. So every time you add a new mods that will affect your fuel delivery, you can program the ecu to run the right fuel setup. It's really good and cost effective. The tuner that is doing it also does the ecu for rally prepared Gti-R's for New Zealand and the Caribbean. In fact my fathers friend who has a 500hp+ rally prepared GTi-R in Barbados has one in his car. It works! My uncle runs 15 psi on GTi-R engine daily for a year and a half. It's a stock engine and ecu. It doesn't give any problems at all which surprised all of us. In fact he found a way to eliminate the speed limiter on the ecu and tricks it into thinking it has more than five gears (when he gets to 120 mph he pumps the clutch and it goes to 130, then he pumps the clutch and it goes to 140, and so on and so on).

V8Killa, why do I want it? Cause I can get it!
I like you have the GTi-R engine, along with the ECU and the MAF. The uni-chip can be programed to eliminate the fuel cut, speed cut and boost cut on the ecu.

Andreas, I'm not hating JWT. I know there stuff works when programed right and that you have ties with them. I'm just saying there is other options.

G

·
what year Cobra do we use the MAF off of?

***1993 Ford Mustang Cobra. Make sure the one you get has an oval shaped electrical connector on it.

and new cams....would i need to get it reprgrammed if i change turbos as well, from a t25 to a t28?

***No. If you add S3 cams, you can get it reprogrammed and the car will idle a little better and driveability will be improved, but it is not absolutely necessary.

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
there is many options than the jwt set up. you have to do some research to find what you want and how much you want to spend. again as i said before i am running the electromotive tech 2. i daily drove with the t-28 at 22psi daily and with my 60-1 over 20psi. it is all in how much you want to spend. but don't say have fun with the stand alone system if all you know is how to love jwt. i think i am amongst a few when i say i do not have one part form jwt on my car and it put out over 420whp on 92oct before i decided to pull the motor to build the bottom end just as a preventative measure and to get more out of it. but jwt does offer alot of ready made parts to the sr20 community, but no they are not the only aftermarket vendor. if you go somewhere else to have something done, cause we do not own hondas, it will take time to do/get.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts