SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i much would a good hp gaining ECU cost, how much hp would it add? just checking...

------------------
Kenneth

1996 RED 200sx SE-R w/ JWT pop charger & Dynomax superturbo exhaust.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
The only "good one" at least for a reasonable price is the JWT ECU. With your mods now except maybe 5hp or so.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Registered
153 Posts
what does a jwt pop charger do? is there mods necessary for optimum performance? do they have them for a 98 ser? I would say ur best bet is jwt tech.. i would have already bought one but they dont make them for 98's..hey stormy: where did u get ur brembos and how much were they? any advice on adding either speed or style to my ride?it looks like we have the same one

------------------
[email protected] vtech

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
A pop charger is basically a K&N cone filter that replaces the stock air box on your car. The best bet is a cold air intake. Try www.se-r.net for more info on your car and the other cars that share the sr20de.

------------------
'95 200sx Se-R

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$40 for pop charger off ebay, and it sounds good to me, i like it... if i switch to cold air i can have an opinion about other intakes, but so far i've only had 1...

------------------
Kenneth

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ser20de:
hey stormy: where did u get ur brembos and how much were they? any advice on adding either speed or style to my ride?it looks like we have the same one
</font>
Brembo x-drilled can get any performance shop basically. I got mine through a group deal.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
there is another ECU you can buy, called a G-Force ECU, and it's only $495 plus shipping, and there is no core charge either...has anyone ever had any experience with this ECU? i read a while back somewhere on the net about it, and it said it gave more bottom end 'snap' than the JWT ECU, but they were very close other than that..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:
there is another ECU you can buy, called a G-Force ECU, and it's only $495 plus shipping, and there is no core charge either...has anyone ever had any experience with this ECU?
</font>
Yes and I'm sure most have regretted it. There is a reason why everyone uses the JWT ECU and not the G-Force, because the JWT works and the G-Force doesn't
IIRC Kojima tested it a long ways back and found nothing worth mentioning except driveability problems.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Umm...I think you should get your facts straight Jordan. SE-R members actually got decent results with G-Force. Remember, they are the ones that did the tuning for all the non JWT cams in the cam shootout in SCC. It's just that everyone on the SE-R mailing list goes JWT because everyone else does. It's not very open to anything else, other than the products tried and true. Remember all that debate over AEBS vs Hotshot headers? G-Force is good, a lot better than 99% of those Honda ECU tuners. It's a good alternative to the JWT ECU.

Terrin
92 SE-R
JWT ECU and JWT C3 cams

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
I distinctly remember Mike K. saying in an article how the g-force beat the JWT computer on the dyno. He then went on to say how when they took the cars out on a road course that the g-force equipped car was burning up sparkplugs showing signs of the car running to lean a mixture. He then went on to say that he's positive JWT could extract a couple extra ponies out of the ecu also but at the cost of every day driveability and risking your motors. However, that was a long time ago that I read this article. R+D may have changed all that. That is my .01

·
Registered
596 Posts
Isn't G-Force now part of UPRD (Under Pressure Research and Development)? I believe that it was the ECU used in the cam shootout in SCC. That's the only time I've heard the G Force or any other ECU mentioned in quite a long time.

Is anybody currently usig a G Force or UPRD ECU? Any impressions on it?

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
hey,
I got a weapon R intake for sale that will do a lot more than a pop charger. Shoot me an email ([email protected]) if you are interested. I had a pop charger and the weapon r gets a little more power, the way to go is PR CAI or HS CAI if you want to spend the money. If not give me an email.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R(Pacific sun blue)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, they are part of uprd I belive. they make about the same hp #s from everything I have read about the g-force they do make a pretty good ecu, and they were actually looking for people to donate a 98 ecu b/c they WANTED to make one.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i put your aol name on my buddy list for the weapon r intake, i'll have to see how much it is first, i just got the pop charger and money is kinda dancing in my pockets for bills and crap, but keep me up to date on the intake...

------------------
Kenneth

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 92SE-R:
Umm...I think you should get your facts straight Jordan. SE-R members actually got decent results with G-Force. Remember, they are the ones that did the tuning for all the non JWT cams in the cam shootout in SCC. It's just that everyone on the SE-R mailing list goes JWT because everyone else does. It's not very open to anything else, other than the products tried and true. Remember all that debate over AEBS vs Hotshot headers? G-Force is good, a lot better than 99% of those Honda ECU tuners. It's a good alternative to the JWT ECU.
Terrin
92 SE-R
JWT ECU and JWT C3 cams
</font>
I am nearly positive it was the G-force. There is a section on SE-R.net where it was written "there was no changes in code from the stock ECU" or something. It also said something about the ad with a guy driving a convertible Eclipse spinning the tires in the ad. Unless I am mistaking this for Superchips. If I am then sorry. That is the only thing I can think of.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
I am nearly positive it was the G-force. There is a section on SE-R.net where it was written "there was no changes in code from the stock ECU" or something. It also said something about the ad with a guy driving a convertible Eclipse spinning the tires in the ad. Unless I am mistaking this for Superchips. If I am then sorry. That is the only thing I can think of.

</font>
That was the JET ECU.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
i wish i knew somebody with the G-Force, cuz i might just buy one...i mean, there's no core charge...if i buy it, and it has good results, cool! if not, i can plop my factory ECU back in place, and return the G-Force and get a header!

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

1 - 20 of 23 Posts