SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of ECUs are people using with 240s DET swaps.... reason being, I have my stock '96 SE-R ecu laying around and wondering if I could use that with say.... a S14/15 DET motor (reprogrammed of course). Or when you get a DET motor, it already has the ecu? Just planning for about 3 years from now...

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
You should look for a complete setup with motor, tranny, UNCUT harness, mafs, ecu, and ignitor chip. you can pay anywhere from 2400 to 7000 for a complete setup. It all depends on which one you want.

·
Registered
596 Posts
So is this an Austin thing?

I have heard the same thing...that you need to get the ECU that comes with the motor. Though I am also curious what would be different in a RWD SR20DET ECU compared to a FWD SR20DET ECU.

·
Registered
32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spdracerUT:
What kind of ECUs are people using with 240s DET swaps.... </font>
For the easiest swap possible, you can use stock KA24 wiring harness and have Jim Wolf Technology reprogram your KA24 ECU for the SR20DET. Problem is, KA24 ECU won't work with CAS/coil packs, so you'll have to get the RWD distributor off a non-turbo SR20 Silvia.

Otherwise, some Silvia motors come with ECU, and there's a way to modify the KA24 wire harness to accept the ECU.

·
Registered
249 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by primeral:
For the easiest swap possible, you can use stock KA24 wiring harness and have Jim Wolf Technology reprogram your KA24 ECU for the SR20DET. Problem is, KA24 ECU won't work with CAS/coil packs, so you'll have to get the RWD distributor off a non-turbo SR20 Silvia.

Otherwise, some Silvia motors come with ECU, and there's a way to modify the KA24 wire harness to accept the ECU.
</font>

While this is an option I would recommend you not do this. You will end up spending more money and time trying to find the distributor and such and from what I have heard the setup does not run as good as the oem setup. Anyways coil packs are the ****.=)

------------------
Tony A.
AIM: TX180SX
"I ownz joo!!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TX180SX:

While this is an option I would recommend you not do this. You will end up spending more money and time trying to find the distributor and such and from what I have heard the setup does not run as good as the oem setup. Anyways coil packs are the ****.=)
</font>
While it is true that extra money has to be spent for the distributor, by any means it is not an inferior setup. Chris's 200SX SE-R with the GTi-R motor (featured on Sport Compact Car) is making almost 500 wheel horsepower. If you're talking about JWT KA24DE ECUs not managing the SR20 as well as the stock ECU, that information is years old so it might not be a valid agruement anymore. By going with the DIS/coilpacks, you will either:

1) run your motor on stock DET programming
2) buy an ECU from Japan
3) go with standalone
4) have JWT program the SR20DET ECU

You also have to either:

1) find a motor with complete harness (uncommon)
2) modify your stock wiring harness
3) buy a JDM harness

The project all of a sudden becomes more expensive. Just more stuff to think about. I, on the other hand, can go either way. I have both DIST/wires and CAS/coilpacks so I can either finish up with my PowerFC or get JWT ECU to make things simple.

Al

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Only one year of the gtir came with coil packs...the article was inaccurate, as mine has a distributor and runs with the reprogrammed ecu...the part numbers are exactly the same on the distributors except for the block code being different, one being 53j and 54c????/

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So basically, the easiest thing to do would be to get the KA ecu reprogrammed. So I shouldn't bother holding onto my SE-R ECU.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
primeral said:

By going with the DIS/coilpacks, you will either:

1) run your motor on stock DET programming
2) buy an ECU from Japan
3) go with standalone
4) have JWT program the SR20DET ECU

You also have to either:

1) find a motor with complete harness (uncommon)
2) modify your stock wiring harness
3) buy a JDM harness

The project all of a sudden becomes more expensive. Just more stuff to think about. I, on the other hand, can go either way. I have both DIST/wires and CAS/coilpacks so I can either finish up with my PowerFC or get JWT ECU to make things simple.

Al
1)stock DET programming is bad?
2)that is why you want to find a complete setup.
3)unnecessary for a street car with mild mods.
4)just more unnecessary money you will spend.

Also it's pretty common to find complete swaps. Not sure where you look but I can find one pretty easy. Modification of the wiring harness is not an option, it's a necessity. The JDM harness is routed through the opposite side of the car. So if you get a complete setup then you don't need JWT or anything else to spend money on other than the basics.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts