SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my header in last night, and it went smooth as can be, except I can not get the EGR to thread into the header right. It seems like the EGR tube is putting a sideways stress on the sleeve, making it both hard to line up and hard to turn. Is there a trick to this? It desen't help that I don't have a good tool for the job- my crescent wrench is too long.

How can I get this thing in?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Loosen it up on the intake manifold end, BUT DO NOT loosen the bolts all the way.

Use a nice crowbar to get leverage and move the pipe around.

That's what worked for me. When I finished, I was covered in sweat.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is it still loose on the other side? If not loosen it up there. (don't take it off) It is a bitch to get to if you have a low port but you can get to them by the firewall.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Greg you never did one on a low port have you!:D

Your lucky to get a small box wrench in there. It ain't easy. :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
***************MORE ADVICE*****************

Loosen the header
Looosen the EGR tube at the other end.
Then work the EGR tube in the header.
Then tighten up the header and EGR tube.

It werkd fer me!!!!!!! :eek:

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the EGR tube in there no problemo, but it dosen't seem to be tightening correct. Is it just normally difficult? I can turn it by hand for the first little bit, then it gets quite hard, quite quick. The threads look okay on both parts, too.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Driven97 said:
I got the EGR tube in there no problemo, but it dosen't seem to be tightening correct. Is it just normally difficult? I can turn it by hand for the first little bit, then it gets quite hard, quite quick. The threads look okay on both parts, too.
I had that same problem when i was trying to put the EGR tube on with the headers screwed in tight. After a bit of "workin it"
i got it to screw in all the way with no problem. So , I think you should keep trying till you get it in right.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's all about screwing it in a little by hand, then tapping it with a hammer. Screw it in a little more, tap it in more with the hammer. Just continue this process until it's threading really nicely. This is what I had to do in my Great Header Install 2001. It works really well actually. Was probably one of the easier things that I did:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts