SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the function of EGRC BPT? Can it be changed easily? My check engine light is on and the ECU code that points to this part.
 

·
Bitter Old Man
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
The BPT valve controls the EGR valve. Think of it as a vacuum solenoid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Slartibartfast said:
The BPT valve controls the EGR valve. Think of it as a vacuum solenoid.
Yeah it is, to be honest i just had that code from my ecu.... It's a hard code meaning that once it is triped once it will stay on until you resent the ecu.... so if you switched out the vaccum hose the light still won't turn off, you have to reset the ecu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking to switch out the BPT itself instead of just the tube. the dealership wants $59 for it. Hopefully it solves the problem. And I know how to reset the ecu. This is the 3rd time the CEL came on.
when you say to change the vaccum hose, should I get a different diameter one or just the original type?
sxSE-R said:
Yeah it is, to be honest i just had that code from my ecu.... It's a hard code meaning that once it is triped once it will stay on until you resent the ecu.... so if you switched out the vaccum hose the light still won't turn off, you have to reset the ecu.
 

·
Give me fuel,give me fire
Joined
·
552 Posts
This happened to me too. I think it is a fairly common problem becuase the local dealership keeps replacement parts in stock. However, all mine needed was to be cleaned out. So you might want to try this first. It worked for me and i havnt had problems with it in 15k miles.
 

·
Give me fuel,give me fire
Joined
·
552 Posts
sxSE-R said:
Yeah it is, to be honest i just had that code from my ecu.... It's a hard code meaning that once it is triped once it will stay on until you resent the ecu.... so if you switched out the vaccum hose the light still won't turn off, you have to reset the ecu.
This is not true. On this particular code the CEL can go away without clearing the ECU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, could you tell me how to locate the bpt and the tube we're talking about and how to replace the bpt???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Nismo_SR20 said:
This is not true. On this particular code the CEL can go away without clearing the ECU.
are you sure because all emission codes are hard codes, but cleaning could be a good option... it could be that you just sucked in some carbon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you mean to clean the rubber hoses or the metal one under neath?
sxSE-R said:
are you sure because all emission codes are hard codes, but cleaning could be a good option... it could be that you just sucked in some carbon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
sir said:
you mean to clean the rubber hoses or the metal one under neath?
which ever you think would work, both if you know how.if you can get an easy fix good for you . it's worth a try
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool, thanks, I did some cleaning with gumout spray into the metal hose under the bpt, lots of black solution came out but it wasn't clogged or anything, hopefully the cel stays off for a while.
sxSE-R said:
which ever you think would work, both if you know how.if you can get an easy fix good for you . it's worth a try
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
good luck. the easiest way to test it is just take you car and run it over 50 mph then under 30 mph for about 10 miles, so that way you are forcing the egr valve to open and close, that's when you will find out if it just needed to be cleaned
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top