SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the installation of my EGT gauge this weekend. Driving it to work the reading fluctuated between 1000-1100 degrees. What is a normal temp for driving under no load and let's say race conditions.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Cruising at about ~80 mph on the freeway (5th gear, about ~3600 rpm) I have about 1300º F. At idle, it'll usually be between 800º and 900º F. Racing, at WOT, almost at redline I can almost peak the gauge (1,600º F.)! Mike K. said this sounded about right....

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
If Im not mistaken don't pistons start melting slightly above 900?

nsracer said:
Cruising at about ~80 mph on the freeway (5th gear, about ~3600 rpm) I have about 1300º F. At idle, it'll usually be between 800º and 900º F. Racing, at WOT, almost at redline I can almost peak the gauge (1,600º F.)! Mike K. said this sounded about right....

·
Registered
263 Posts
The pistions may very well melt at 900degrees, but remember that that just because the exhaust gases are that hot, does not mean the metal surrounding it is that hot. It is cooled by oil, water, and the cool intake charge.

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Hey David what EGT GAUGE are you using?

nsracer said:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.