SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to install Pro-Kits on my classic. Anything I should know, and especially, anything I should buy/have on hand, like seals/gaskets etc? Anything you can think of would be appreciated. Hoping to do it next Saturday (Sweetest Day present for me, up yours Hallmark) so I can get the car aligned shortly thereafter.

TIA

------------------
1994 SE-R Super Black
HS CAI, STB, NX console, 15" rolling stock, more to come...

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
have a breaker bar or big torque wrench, and an impact gun if possible to loosen and tighten the damper nut on the strut, just makes the install a lot smoother.

also check the rubber spring seats, on mine some were gone, or torn, so i just use some heater hosing, basically, you dont want the spring rubbin on the strut.

and also have some other person around to help you.

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque

Serban's SE-R Page

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Originally posted by Stine:
Getting ready to install Pro-Kits on my classic. Anything I should know, and especially, anything I should buy/have on hand, like seals/gaskets etc? Anything you can think of would be appreciated. Hoping to do it next Saturday (Sweetest Day present for me, up yours Hallmark) so I can get the car aligned shortly thereafter.
---------------
I did my 91 in May.
Check out the condition of your existing rubber pieces at top and bottom of the current springs, & the condition of the shock boots (bet you need the boots at least). There is also a strut (thrust) bearing at top of the front struts - advise buying at least those. You putting in new shocks at same time, or already replaced em?

You'll want to consider cutting down the size of the bumpers on the shock boots.

Might want to buy some sheet paper gasket material to cut new gaskets for top of shock mount - I used silicone instead since I had no gasket material on hand.

You'll need a spring compressor to take em apart (I used two motorcycle tie down straps successfully). I bought a electric impact wrench for the job - which came in very handy.

SE-R net should have more advice.

Dan

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Stine- what struts are you gonna be using? i just picked up a set of ProKits, and am leaning towards KYB GR2's.

keep the advice comin, cuz i'm gonna need it too

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
NismoSER: i just did my spring/struts 2 weeks ago, i am using the eibach prokits, with the KYB GR2, i think its a really good setup, i have no complaints. tirerack has them for fairly cheap, $44 each for the front, $46 each for the rear.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a loser and unfortunately don't have the coin for new struts right now, so for the time being I'll be going with the stockers.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
I feel your pain...i probably won't be picking up struts for another month or two...unless you guys wanna donate some to me for my birthday! its only 17 days away!

come oooooooooooooon!!

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts