SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

As I have read around here for a few years now I noticed I too have the common problems with my ser 92. But one issue I haven't seen posted here, or I just missed it is the following:

My alternator is about 1 year old.

Sometimes, which can be every day but not all the time when the car is running I get this tsk tsk tsk tsk noise under the dash on my driver side almost right by the fuses it sounds like. It when it gets doing that the alternator light lights up on the dash, and blinks in concert with the crackling noise. It sounds like electric is making contact and then not or something.

Also, even when there isn't the tsk tsk noise, my headlights and dash light will dim and stay dim, and sometimes i get full volts and my lights get noticeably brighter but they don't stay that way and go back to a dimmer light.

Now, I could just say i need a new alternator, but what do you guys think? I'm not sure if that noise is something that just happens when too low of an amp runs through whatever is making that noise or what.

Thanks!

:eek2:

·
!
56 Posts
Check the voltage in the system. I had one alternator that was putting out over 16 volts and it was making the relays under the dash click and buzz. Checking the system voltage will show a lot of issues. You can use a voltmeter either in the cigarette lighter or across the battery. You should get around 14v with the car running, no more than 14.5 and not much less than 13.5.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the voltage in the system. I had one alternator that was putting out over 16 volts and it was making the relays under the dash click and buzz. Checking the system voltage will show a lot of issues. You can use a voltmeter either in the cigarette lighter or across the battery. You should get around 14v with the car running, no more than 14.5 and not much less than 13.5.
This sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to buy one of these then.

The battery terminals are snug.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.