SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Audio Nut
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been fighting with an electrical problem for a few months now. There's a relay that keeps clicking on and off like a machine gun, battery light flickers, voltage inside cabin drops to 11.8v and my headlights flicker. If I turn the heater fan on above 1 or turn the defroster on, it stops.

The relay I believe responsible is behind the fuse box on the main harness, it's located on the top of the harness. It's black in color and is approx. .5"x.5"x1" in dimensions... does anyone know what this controls or can someone look it up in the fsm?

Help greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Travis

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Had same issues with a bad ground once.. go buy a $5 ground strap at a local auto parts store and try re-grounding from the battery to the BODY somewhere and see what happens.

Chris

·
Audio Nut
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MauiBlueGride said:
Had same issues with a bad ground once.. go buy a $5 ground strap at a local auto parts store and try re-grounding from the battery to the BODY somewhere and see what happens.

Chris

Hmmmm, I've got another ground strap lying around, I'll try that first...thanks for the info.

·
Audio Nut
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
N13 Freak said:
Hmmmm, I've got another ground strap lying around, I'll try that first...thanks for the info.
Ok, tried the other ground strap and even bought a brand new ground strap, no change...%*$(%*#(@#[email protected]#$!!!

If someone can tell me what that relay is part of, it'd really help me track down the problem.

Thanks,
Travis

·
Audio Nut
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna go with the thought that this is the alternator going out, I've been listening in the engine bay for a similar clicking noise, but never anything until yesterday night. There was a distinct clicking noise eminating from the alternator and considering the symptoms in some other threads where the alt. was going bad were pretty similar, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Thank god for warranties... I'll update everyone as soon as the new alt's in.

-Travis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.