SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody done this? I'm looking at installing a different steering wheel, and I figure I might as well remove the whole airbag system. What problems might this cause (beyond the obvious not having an airbag) as far as idiot lights, etc?

TIA

·
8,148 Posts
None whats so ever. Airbag my ass. A 91-93 SE-R had no airbag. A 94 does. I flipped my 92 twice. No Airbag. My NX got a front hit. My airbag busted and let off mustard gas all over the place. Did nothing but left a mess for me to clean. Ditch the airbag.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any thoughts on what to look out for? I mean I know to let the capacitors discharge for a half-hour or so, but If I pull the module in the center console, the one between the seats, and the one behind the grille, is it going to turn on the airbag light? Anything anyone can input is greatly appreciated.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
A 91-93 SE-R had no airbag.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious. However, my '93 SE-R does have an airbag. I've been contemplating doing it too, Kent.

You've got a new FSM, right? Read up on it. It's in there, highly detailed.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Greg, I definitely will be checking the book out. It's my new guru. My only problem will be mounting the cruise control switches and making sure they work.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ask ben he just did it to the NX. you can put a non airbag wheel on if you just wnat to get rid of it. if you want aftermarket then wait for george to write up or bug him he did it to the G. it looks really good. using a s13 cruse holder i think...

·
8,148 Posts
SERprise In WV said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious. However, my '93 SE-R does have an airbag. I've been contemplating doing it too, Kent.

You've got a new FSM, right? Read up on it. It's in there, highly detailed.
I think maybe it was an option in 93. I knoiw in 93 SE-R's didn't have airbags.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Pretty White said:

I think maybe it was an option in 93. I knoiw in 93 SE-R's didn't have airbags.
Ian!!!! Don't contradict yourself now. :) If airbags were an option in '93, then how can you know that in '93, SE-R's didn't have airbags? :D Fact of the matter is, they were available in '93... All of the '93 SE-R's I've seen to this date have airbags.

--Andrew Phan

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
You could not get an Airbag on a '91 or '92 SE-R, but they were an option in '93 and '94. IIRC airbags were available in '91 and '92 for the NX though. I have seen a few '93s w/o airbags, and a local guy just bought a '94 that didn't have an airbag. Kent, do you want to get rid of that steering wheel after you remove it?

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if I'll keep the wheel or not - it's kind of beat, part of the reason I'm considering this whole thing. If I can't make the cruise work with the new wheel, I'll stick with the old one anyway. I've been keeping the stock parts after my mods for reversibility, but I'd consider parting with the wheel. I'll let you know.

·
RWD Junkie
119 Posts
Hey! Thanks for the props. It was a fun project.

I say ditch the airbags. Who needs them? The feel of a good aftermarket steering wheel is intense. My 192k S14 felt so much more responsive with the new wheel.

As for the airbags, I didn't really take any precautions. I made the note on my write-up to cover my ass, but I just unplugged the harness from the Air bag controller and then went to work ont he rest.

-Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts