SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nismo King
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search for it, but there are just too many to read through. I put a jdm motor in my car, so i have a jdm intake manifold, which has no egr. i failed the e-test yesterday, my NOx was almost doubled the limit. I heard that retarding the timing to about 10* would help. i also heard the adding some STP "heat" would help it a lot. I dont know if the heat i thing is true, he said you just pour it in ur gas tank and go. i really need to get it passed, so i will take any advice i can get. here are my results

HC: limit-147.0 ppm, me-118.9 ppm
CO: limit-0.82%, me-0.59%
NO: limit-1072.0 ppm, me-2011 ppm

i seriously need help with this, and im pissed because some people told me it would easily pass with no egr. thanks
-Sam

·
MMM, organized crime
740 Posts
Yea doing both of those work, just add a few things of dry gas, and retard the timing. I know plenty of people have got JDMs to pass emissions, or just find someone to run another car under ur vin number, i mean err..; )

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Since HC and CO re below the limit and only NOx is way above you should check:

EGR function (this one is out since you do not have it), Air Fuel Ratio (if it is too lean it gives high NOx), intake air leaks, making sure the CAT is heated.

Retarding the timing also works. Goal is to lower the temperature in the combustion chamber, the main reason for high NOx.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
ser91 said:
i seriously need help with this, and im pissed because some people told me it would easily pass with no egr

I am the one of the guys who told you that, Sam. Yes, it will pass. I made my car pass without the EGR tubing connected, a guy I know who has an SR20DET-powered 240SX passed, and I know many others who had no issues passing without an EGR. I recommended that you do the things Sanyo just said in order to get the NO to where it should be. And I told you that last year, when you had enough time to have taken care of all this before taking your car in to the sniffer. Sam, a phone call does NOT hurt. I've helped you out before, haven't I? Why the pissed off attitude?

·
Nismo King
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not really pissed off at anyone. im just pissed off at the fact that my car didnt pass. its finally running perfect and it wont pass, thats all that im mad about. im gonna do that stuff week and see what happens. im just gonna pray for the best. cause i only have one more fail until i have to start paying $20 each time. thanks
-Sam

·
Registered
90 Posts
Time for a new Cat...I had the same issues last time. I tried it all...the only thing that made me pass was the new cat...EVERYTHING dropped almost in half...and my EGR is hooked up.

Terry Vincent
92 Classic DPT powered

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Please, don't pass on bad information. It is NOT time for a new cat. The cat is working perfectly as can be seen from the HC and CO numbers. The only reason he has high NOx is because he has no EGR. All he needs to do is lower the ignition timing down. I guarantee it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am in the same boat in the sense that I am getting ready to get my car tested and I don’t have the EGR equipment hooked up. I do however have a wideband O2 and an EGT gauge. I can also have the ability to adjust my base timing as well as the timing value in the ignition table via my daughter board.
Here is my question... What exhaust temperature should I shoot for when tuning, what would be a good timing value to run during the test (I believe the test is run under low load and approx 30mph here in CT). What’s the correlation between EGT and NOX?
I haven’t failed ... but I would like to tune it for emissions before I get it tested. Any suggestions would certainly help me avoid multiple re-tests.
Thanks
-dave

ser91,
let us know how you make out with your test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts