SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Datsun 510 Racer
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This group buy requires 5 to initiate, I have 4 commitments as of 3/16/06. If I receive more than 5 by 3/21/06, I will extend the initial $245 offer to all that make commitments by that date.

Here are the details:

Group Buy: Nissan SR Engine to Nissan L Series Transmission Adapter.

This adapter will mate any FWD SR series Nissan engine to any transmission used with a Nissan L series engine.

Transmissions used with any Nissan L13, L14, L16, L18, L20B, L24, L26 or L28 engine can be mated with this adapter to any SR16VE, SR20DE, SR20VE, SR20DET and SR20VET engine used in a FWD or AWD vehicle. It replaces the original steel sandwich plate that goes between the engine and transmission. Note: The RWD SR20 engines will not work with this adapter.

The adapter is made from 3/8” 6061, mill finish (not anodized) aluminum plate. The CAD design is CNC cut using a high pressure abrasive waterjet cutter. Tolerances are +/- .005”. The waterjet process is perfect for this application, no heat or surface hardening is introduced into the base metal and no warping occurs as a result of the “cold cutting” process. The final machining is done on a CNC mill.

The adapter includes five (5) M12 x 1.75-25, grade 10.9 flathead bolts that use an 8mm Allen drive for installation in the countersunk adapter holes. Also included is an installation outline with pictures. The remaining M10 x 1.5 and M12 x 1.75 bolts will need to be supplied by the purchaser. The specific clutch assembly used in any individual application will determine the throw-out bearing type and location; these will need to be determined by the purchaser to complete the installation.

Update: I have physically measured the dimensions and actually assembled the pieces. The splines are the same between the stock SR clutch disc and the L series transmission, so the SR clutch assembly will work with the L transmission. (I used a Datsun 510 4 speed for measuring/testing.) The flywheel surface to block dimension is deeper on the SR than the L engine, so even with the added adapter thickness the clutch disc splines are fully engaged on the input shaft and the pilot shaft has full engagement on the bushing. The SR clutch assembly is thinner than the L clutch so this will require the throw out bearing to be .5" longer than the bearing on the original 4 speed transmission. Again due to variations in production, these dimensions will need to be confirmed by the installer. Here are links to different Nissan throw out bearings and dimensions to assist in selecting the right length for your application. http://tinyurl.com/fu7kg or http://tinyurl.com/gxswc (Supplied by Ted Hedman)

Group Buy Details: These adapters are custom designed and made, so to get this going, a Group-Buy will be made for the first five (5) at $245/each plus shipping. If five orders are not made by March 23, 2006 the group buy will be canceled. Once the first five purchases are committed to I will request payment from each of you by PayPal or US Postal Money Order. Please include in your initial purchase request your shipping address and preferred FedEx delivery mode (Ground, Overnight, 2 day, etc) so I can calculate the shipping into the total PayPal amount. If no shipping preference is made I will use ground. When payment is received from all committed purchasers the order will be placed into production. 1-3 weeks may be needed to complete the manufacturing process depending on the timing of the order placement. Once the first five adapters are sold, additional orders will be taken at a cost of $295/each.

Please contact me at [email protected]
Include “SR16 Adapter Buy” in the subject line of the e-mail and your ship to address in the body of the message.

Here is a link to photos of the prototype, scroll down on each photo after you enlarge it and the description near the bottom includes added information on install and other details. http://tinyurl.com/ljmes

Please contact me directly with any questions that you may have.

Thank You,
Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH 03046
[email protected]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
If you made a FWD SR engine to RWD SR transmission adapter, you'd be in the money.

Neat product, regardless, and I wish you good luck with the sales. :)

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
There would be the issue of the distributor hitting the firewall.
RYAN_S-14 said:
I know this has been done but,

SR20 to 6 speed Spec V Tranny.
You can buy the Primera 6-speed bell housing from GregV at Mossy Nissan and put it on the spec-v tranny for around $200.

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
SENTRASER said:
There would be the issue of the distributor hitting the firewall.

You can buy the Primera 6-speed bell housing from GregV at Mossy Nissan and put it on the spec-v tranny for around $200.
Also, Dave used Hyabusa throttle bodies. Your intake is going to be facing the firewall with any fwd SR20.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
SENTRASER said:
Has this been done before, as in documented or pictures taken of it happening?

·
6,928 Posts
Tomcat5678 said:
Has this been done before, as in documented or pictures taken of it happening?
No documentation, but from what I read, you have to install it into a 2000-2001 Sentra SE ( B15) as it wont fit in our cars w/o modification of the frame rail.

·
6,928 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Very interesting. Wish I could take my car down for a couple weeks to try this!

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
DimeDave, you'd probably get some business on this if you can mate a stronger trans to the sr20 (FWD) especially for the se-r cup guys. I think the KA trans is significantly stronger but I'm not sure.

·
Datsun 510 Racer
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Group Buy in Place

I want to thank those that have participated in the Group Buy. I received enough orders to place the adapters into production. The buyers have been notified of the delivery schedule.
:cheers:

I have also ordered a couple extras adapters on speculation. These will be available at $295 each. Quantity is limited and may not be available by individual order after these are sold.

Thanks to all that participated.

·
Datsun 510 Racer
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Adapter to KA Transmission

Kyle,
I have very limited knowledge on FWD transmissions. Closest I evercame to one was a 1987 Sentra with an E15 engine that was a daily driver in bone stock condition. Now Nissan RWD I've had my hands all over these since '83.

From my experiances the KA RWD transmision bellhousing section can be swapped with the L and VG forward sections. Front bearings may need changing at worst case. This also applies to JDM RWD SR transmissions.

Knowing the RWD history and the FWD QR/SR bellhousing swap I wouldn't be surprised if the FWD KA transmission (Altima) was the same transmission with a different bell housing section. This is just speculation.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Let me get this straight here. If you put the sr20ve in a 240, your gonna have the cam sensor smacking the firewall, right? You'll also have to get a custom intake, as its pointing in the wrong direction. Not to mention your going to need a totally custom header, as the stocker will smack the steering column. So if you solve the sensor problem, perhaps cut the stock intake and flip it.... it would literally be a bolt in application? I'm trying to visualize what it would look like in the engine bay, but I'm still drunk from last night.

Im gonna go look at FWD engine pics again and do some thinking.

·
Datsun 510 Racer
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
VE into a RWD Car isn't going to be easy!

A complete VE into an existing RWD car like a 240SX or a 510 is not going to be an easy conversion. I designed this adapter to allow the use of a common transmission to an SR16VE specifically for SCCA GTL road racing.

Yes, a complete swap into a street car will involve using an alternate ignition system, fabrication of water lines to the pulley end of the engine, relocation of the cam solenoids and creation of custom motor mounts, but this work is the easier (although time consuming) part of the fabrication. For a typical hobbyist, the adapter will help make this swap possible, but it is not for everyone.

·
'71 240z, a REAL classic
225 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
If you made a FWD SR engine to RWD SR transmission adapter, you'd be in the money.

Neat product, regardless, and I wish you good luck with the sales. :)

I'm with this guy... i'm trying to do a vvl turbo swap into my 240z

1 - 20 of 31 Posts