·
Registered
1,156 Posts
that is dope dave. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
DimeDave said:
Transmissions used with any Nissan L13, L14, L16, L18, L20B, L24, L26 or L28 engine can be mated with this adapter to any SR16VE, SR20DE, SR20VE, SR20DET and SR20VET engine used in a FWD or AWD vehicle. It replaces the original steel sandwich plate that goes between the engine and transmission. Note: The RWD SR20 engines will not work with this adapter.
I'm new to Nissans. Do you have a list of specific transmissions models that this will fit. I just aquired a FWD SR20 that I may want to drop into some RWD application, but would need to know what specific trans this would fit.

·
Datsun 510 Racer
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
L Series engines were used in the following cars. 240-280Z, 280ZX, 510, 610, 710, 810, Maxima (RWD). And the following trucks, 521, 620 & 720 (early). The adapter will phsically adapt the Z20, Z22, Z24 and KA24 tarnsmissions, BUT the SR engine will be tilted at a very steep angle and will not survive due to oil starvation.

·
I Keep It Unique
2,423 Posts
Why doesnt the RWD SR20 tranny bolt up to a FWD SR20 motor? Arent they the same block?

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
Diffrent bolt pattern would be my guess. So Dime, you're saying that the adaptor /engine combo is bad for oil starvation?

·
Datsun 510 Racer
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The KA, Z & L engines all use the same engine to transmission bolt pattern. The KA & Z engines tilt toward the passenger side. The L is tilted to the driver's side. So if you use a KA or Z transmission, in stock location, the sump on the SR engine will be tilted 20+ degrees off level. This is why using a KA or Z tranmission is an issue for oiling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I apologize for resurrecting an ancient thread, but I am wondering if there is anyway to still obtain these adapter plates? I understand this is a group buy that took place a long time ago - but maybe there are some extras / unused ones floating around?

Thanks

-Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
This group buy requires 5 to initiate, I have 4 commitments as of 3/16/06. If I receive more than 5 by 3/21/06, I will extend the initial $245 offer to all that make commitments by that date.

Here are the details:
Group Buy: Nissan SR Engine to Nissan L Series Transmission Adapter.

This adapter will mate any FWD SR series Nissan engine to any transmission used with a Nissan L series engine.

Transmissions used with any Nissan L13, L14, L16, L18, L20B, L24, L26 or L28 engine can be mated with this adapter to any SR16VE, SR20DE, SR20VE, SR20DET and SR20VET engine used in a FWD or AWD vehicle. It replaces the original steel sandwich plate that goes between the engine and transmission. Note: The RWD SR20 engines will not work with this adapter.

The adapter is made from 3/8” 6061, mill finish (not anodized) aluminum plate. The CAD design is CNC cut using a high pressure abrasive waterjet cutter. Tolerances are +/- .005”. The waterjet process is perfect for this application, no heat or surface hardening is introduced into the base metal and no warping occurs as a result of the “cold cutting” process. The final machining is done on a CNC mill.

The adapter includes five (5) M12 x 1.75-25, grade 10.9 flathead bolts that use an 8mm Allen drive for installation in the countersunk adapter holes. Also included is an installation outline with pictures. The remaining M10 x 1.5 and M12 x 1.75 bolts will need to be supplied by the purchaser. The specific clutch assembly used in any individual application will determine the throw-out bearing type and location; these will need to be determined by the purchaser to complete the installation.

Update: I have physically measured the dimensions and actually assembled the pieces. The splines are the same between the stock SR clutch disc and the L series transmission, so the SR clutch assembly will work with the L transmission. (I used a Datsun 510 4 speed for measuring/testing.) The flywheel surface to block dimension is deeper on the SR than the L engine, so even with the added adapter thickness the clutch disc splines are fully engaged on the input shaft and the pilot shaft has full engagement on the bushing. The SR clutch assembly is thinner than the L clutch so this will require the throw out bearing to be .5" longer than the bearing on the original 4 speed transmission. Again due to variations in production, these dimensions will need to be confirmed by the installer. Here are links to different Nissan throw out bearings and dimensions to assist in selecting the right length for your application. http://tinyurl.com/fu7kg or http://tinyurl.com/gxswc (Supplied by Ted Hedman)

Group Buy Details: These adapters are custom designed and made, so to get this going, a Group-Buy will be made for the first five (5) at $245/each plus shipping. If five orders are not made by March 23, 2006 the group buy will be canceled. Once the first five purchases are committed to I will request payment from each of you by PayPal or US Postal Money Order. Please include in your initial purchase request your shipping address and preferred FedEx delivery mode (Ground, Overnight, 2 day, etc) so I can calculate the shipping into the total PayPal amount. If no shipping preference is made I will use ground. When payment is received from all committed purchasers the order will be placed into production. 1-3 weeks may be needed to complete the manufacturing process depending on the timing of the order placement. Once the first five adapters are sold, additional orders will be taken at a cost of $295/each.

Please contact me at [email protected]
Include “SR16 Adapter Buy” in the subject line of the e-mail and your ship to address in the body of the message.

Here is a link to photos of the prototype, scroll down on each photo after you enlarge it and the description near the bottom includes added information on install and other details. http://tinyurl.com/ljmes

Please contact me directly with any questions that you may have.

Thank You,
Dave Patten

Dunbarton, NH 03046
[email protected]
Dont know if it is still availible... i can alsways try right? I have a datsun 280zx and a fwd sr20. So if the plates are still avalible i want to order one.
If not, does anyone know if anyone know if aomeone else has made the plate?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts