SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of engine cleaner should I use, what parts do I need to cover and general instructions. Ive never cleaned an engine before and I can think of better things to spend 70 bucks on.

------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake and more to come!!!!!

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Just get a can of Engine-Brite de-greaser and use your garden hose. Put some paper towels in the spark plug wells to keep water out. Spray the entire engine (avoid the alternator, battery terminals and air filter) let it sit for like 15 minutes then use high pressure to wash it off. Follow that with a can of Engine Detailer.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at
Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Check out Shell Black's instructions on SE-R.net. Think he has some more detailing stuff up somewhere else dont know if its on SE-R.net now or not. But his engine detailing tips are up there. And remember. ENGINES DONT LIKE TO SWIM. Read his instructions, Eric did it to his 91 and damn that engine went from 2"s of caked on dirt to probaly cleaner than mine.

G

·
0 Posts
I personally use a diluted version of a cleaner I use for my rims called "Maxi-Clean". It's one of the items used by the car dealers around here for prepping out cars on their lots. I bought it from a professional detailer's warehouse locally for 9.95$/Gallon. That stuff will clean anything, engines included

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I use this stuff called cd2 and works great. a few people at the convention were making comments to me surprisingly enough. it is a cleaner and a shiner two part system. runs like 7 bux or so at pep boys.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Don't use Castrol SuperClean.

Because I couldn't take Fancher's word for it, I tried a small dab of it on an out of the way place on the valve cover. Instant stain.

Make sure you use stuff that safe on aluminum, plastic, and rubber.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 03-04-2001).]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys, the article on
se-r.net is really explanatory and sounds pretty easy, I'll give it a try tomarrow.

------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake and more to come!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
If you would like Veg, i can pick up a jug of that Maxi-clean, and you can just ship me the $ for the product, and I'll pay for the shipping-Then you can get something you can use for soemthing other than Engine cleaning. This stuff is basically like the castrol super clean from Hell!! It'll clean just about anything-If some other list members are interested, I could send you guys a spray bottle of the stuff(undiluted) for a "nominal" fee
let me know!!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea it appears pretty easy. Im going to try the stuff either next week during spring break if its nice or right before the convention. My engine isnt that dirty but oil is everywhere. From mainly a leaky valve cover and appears to be leaking oil pan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts