SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear VE owners,

I have a 91 Primera eGT one year with SR20VE engine. I think it is the first VE Primera in my country, in Hungary. Tech dates below.

My question is, whitch grade and type engine oil should I use? A used 10W40, but the engine oil pressure I think too high, exspeciely in cold condition. I have not any SR20VE workshop manual to read the recomended oil pressures. How mutch oil pressure must be messure in IDLE and for example in 3000 rpm.

I changed the oil cooler from old SR20DE to the new SR20VE. It is a simple original Nissan oil cooler. This type cool the oil with the engine water. The oil cooler can cause the high oil pressure?

Next question, where should I find workshop manual for SRxxVE engines?

My car:
1991 hatchback Nissan Primera eGT (P10 like G20)
SR20VE engine
Primera P10 MAF
Power Enterprise 165 l/h Fuel Pump
P11 tranny
Organic clutch with CrMo light flywheel
Nismo mechanical LSD
15" wheels (195/50R15)
P10 ECU with own developed daughterboard with 10 switchable programm memory
reprogrammed for petrol and E85 (in Hungary cheaper 30% like petrol), switcable
Primera P12 brake rotors soon (280x28mm in front, 280x10 mm back)

Thanks,
Menyus

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think that Nissan specifies 10W30 for the SR20VE. These engines tend to have higher oil pressure than the SR20DE. If you search this forum you will probably be able to find posts where members cites specific pressures.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What will be the result if you use 5W40?
Probably nothing noticeable. Higher oil pressure after warm up, faster oil distribution at start up -- both of these changes would be pretty inconsequential. Theoretically, you would get lower gas mileage and power after warm up due to higher viscosity. But are these changes measurable? I don't know.

·
VVL sucks in pedestrians
621 Posts
I have used the following on my VE on track with no ill effect:

-10w40 M1
-5w50 (castrol 30%) and 0w30 (german castrol 70%) Mix
-0w30 (german castrol)

All oil pushed to 260 deg F temperature for four 20 to30 minute sessions (cooler is waiting to be installed), changed every three track days (500 miles total).

GC (german castrol) is a "real" synthetic as per European standard and has been used by a lot of cars with a superior oil analysis (compared to Mobil 1) - highly recommended.

As long as it is a synthetic and you change it frequently, take your pick and enjoy!

·
SE-R Abuser
789 Posts
personely i run valvoline 10w 30 synthetic, but i've only put a few hundred miles on that oil.. it seems to like it better then the conventional oil i was running..

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
Nissan factory oil for the SR20VE is the 7.5w30 that is considered Nissans 'factory fill'

5w30 is good for colder climates, brand is a personal choice.

VE runs higher oil pressures due to tighter clearances and no hydraulic lifters to constant fill, along with the need to provide instant VVL pressure when activated.

PS: The VE loves E85, used it in my old engine and the power increase is great. Cheap race fuel!!

·
VVL sucks in pedestrians
621 Posts
PS: The VE loves E85, used it in my old engine and the power increase is great. Cheap race fuel!!
Can you elaborate on the use of E85 on the stock VE, are any fuel pressure or timing modifications required to get the power increase? Thanks.

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
Can you elaborate on the use of E85 on the stock VE, are any fuel pressure or timing modifications required to get the power increase? Thanks.
New to be able to recalibrate the ECU, as E85 requires around 30% more fuel consumption for similiar stoich mixtures. 20% to 30% power gains over pump fuel is easy ;) 6 degrees more timing advance is great as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the oil pressures would be 12 psi at idle and around 70 psi at 3000 rpm when the engine has reached operating temperature.

for some reason, my motor hates AMSOIL 10w30. it would burn off quickly. using MOBIL 1 10w30 without any problems.

the oil cooler shouldn't cause much restriction. I assume it would be designed for minimal pressure loss. with my own motor ,which is daily driven and auto-x on weekends, I've never needed an oil cooler.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use Royal Purple 10w30 on mine ever since Ive owned it. My favorite oil. One thing that I found facinating last week is now Nissan them self have switched to using royal purple for synthetic oil changes. So now with Nissan using it, my VE shouldnt have any problems with it as it never has.

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
Every Nissan dealership is able to choose their own synthetic oils on a dealer by dealer basis ;)

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
New to be able to recalibrate the ECU, as E85 requires around 30% more fuel consumption for similiar stoich mixtures. 20% to 30% power gains over pump fuel is easy ;) 6 degrees more timing advance is great as well.
You are correct on e85 uses 30% more fuel, but dead wrong on 20-30% power gains .1st thing people need to understand is fuel will not increase power what so ever. Running race fuel or E85 just allow a person to run more aggressive maps thus giving you power increase. From what I know there is no fuel will give you 20-30 % increase in power!Even on boosted cars they see maybe 5% most at same boost levels. Now you might say running race fuel on boosted cars show big gain this is true but only because they car run higher boost without pinging. The gas does not actually increase power

·
Registered
145 Posts
wow is that really true????
I would go with what iamhappy46 said. I went to the parts counter at one of the major atlanta Nissan dealers. There was a big royal purple banner there so I was like wtf and ask the guy if they use it for their oil changes. He said yep and I thought that was cool as hell. I checked google for Nissan/Royal Purple linked up, but didnt find anything. So I guess iamhappy46 is right with each individual dealer choosing what oil they want to run. Even so, we are talking a major dealer here in atlanta so that alone should say something. It may not be Nissan as a whole as I stated, but Im sure this one in Atlanta aint the only one using RP in the US.

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
You are correct on e85 uses 30% more fuel, but dead wrong on 20-30% power gains .1st thing people need to understand is fuel will not increase power what so ever. Running race fuel or E85 just allow a person to run more aggressive maps thus giving you power increase. From what I know there is no fuel will give you 20-30 % increase in power!Even on boosted cars they see maybe 5% most at same boost levels. Now you might say running race fuel on boosted cars show big gain this is true but only because they car run higher boost without pinging. The gas does not actually increase power
Might want to read up on calorific values per litre of E85 and understand why it DOES make 20% or more power gains. Saab and Skoda have been using it in Europe for years, with Saab having huge gains in one 9-5 Aero which had a 30% gain using the same boost in a back to back test. Locally, we have been using E85 in our Ford Falcon Falcon XR6 turbo(google them ;)) and also our LS1 V8's with great success. XR6 turbos are hitting 300rwKw limits on stock turbos but by switching to E85, a set of injectors with more flow and the same boost pressure will consistently run 370rwKw or 500Hp at the wheels from a 4L straight 6 ;)

If you run 'race fuel' you can either run more boost before knock sets in OR run more ignition timing advance. More advance allows complete combustion of the 'extra fuel' in the cylinder with its slow burning nature and due to more 'calories' or energy in the fuel being released, allowing for more power. Most race fuels allow more boost due the slow burning nature(which stops pre-detonation) requiring more oxygen and heat to ignite the entire mixture.

Please research E85 properly ;) My N/A VQ35 Pulsar is running E85 in a flex fuel system and I have the dyno figures to back it up as well.

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
Might want to read up on calorific values per litre of E85 and understand why it DOES make 20% or more power gains. Saab and Skoda have been using it in Europe for years, with Saab having huge gains in one 9-5 Aero which had a 30% gain using the same boost in a back to back test. Locally, we have been using E85 in our Ford Falcon Falcon XR6 turbo(google them ;)) and also our LS1 V8's with great success. XR6 turbos are hitting 300rwKw limits on stock turbos but by switching to E85, a set of injectors with more flow and the same boost pressure will consistently run 370rwKw or 500Hp at the wheels from a 4L straight 6 ;)

If you run 'race fuel' you can either run more boost before knock sets in OR run more ignition timing advance. More advance allows complete combustion of the 'extra fuel' in the cylinder with its slow burning nature and due to more 'calories' or energy in the fuel being released, allowing for more power. Most race fuels allow more boost due the slow burning nature(which stops pre-detonation) requiring more oxygen and heat to ignite the entire mixture.

Please research E85 properly ;) My N/A VQ35 Pulsar is running E85 in a flex fuel system and I have the dyno figures to back it up as well.

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/
^^^ ok so i will put e85 in my 215 whp VE car i will make 258-279 WHP?(20-30% increase) :rofl::biggthump

·
P10 pro
545 Posts
If you really research E85, you will find that it has less energy density or less btu per gallon than gasoline. That's why a E85 engine has to run richer in order to make the same power as regular gasoline. Diesel has the most btu per gallon.

Diesel: 138,700 btu/gallon and 25 octane
87 Octane gasoline: 125,000 and 91
Ethanol: 84,000 and 125

As you can see the advantage with E85 is not in it power content but in the octane rating. You can run more timing on a high compression engine and potentially make more power.

The examples you gave of high horsepower turbo cars where E85 gain 20% and higher won't hold true for a NA engine making 200whp. Even saying a 10% gain from switching to E85 for a 200whp is optimistic, that's 220whp, not going to happen.

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
Dyno numbers from a Mainline dyno which usually reads about 10% lower due to a higher drivetrain loss calculation.
Front wheel power / estimated crank power
Tomei on E85: 367.7Hp / 489Hp
Tomei on 98RON: 303.8Hp / 405Hp
Stock cams on E85: 328Hp / 438Hp
Stock cams on 98RON: 271Hp / 361Hp(only a 20Hp gain from 2.2CR increase but I think the tune could have been better since I used the original tune with retarded timing to compensate for CR increase)
Done during back to back testing within 15 minutes of each other ;) Roughly 20% power gain on E85 from the VQ35 Tomei 272's compared to pump fuel.
The current Kelford cams have shown a similiar power gain when running E85 and thats only on the run in tune.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts