SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently noticed my car is beginning to burn oil-about a quart every 1K miles.

The compression is a little low , but it passes smog fine, and doesn't smoke at all. My question is how much would a basic engine rebuild cost? I've put a lot of money into my car already and right now it's running great. However, I am wondering what it's going to cost to keep it going in the future.
Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well if you wanna do it with OEM parts then around 2.5-3.5k for parts and labor. more if you choose better pistons, rods, etc...

You don't mean the head to right?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sheabird:
Well if you wanna do it with OEM parts then around 2.5-3.5k for parts and labor. more if you choose better pistons, rods, etc...

You don't mean the head to right?
</font>
I don't know exactly. But thanks for the info. Do you know if buying a used engine would be cheaper? I'm totally clueless when it comes to this.

·
Registered
858 Posts
rebuild about 1500 bucks and up. a j spec motor with higher compression and better intake manifold 500-750 delivered.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Probably cheaper to buy a J-spec engine.

When you take the old engine out, send it to me.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:
Probably cheaper to buy a J-spec engine.

When you take the old engine out, send it to me.

</font>
NO problem.
But tell me is the Jspec engine smoggable? Thanks again

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
A J-spec engine probably won't pass smog unless you put the EGR system on it. The JDM exhaust manifold doesn't have a hole for the EGR pipe. Using a hs header would give you what you need and it bolts right up to the JDM engine.

Good luck!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
definitaley hook up the J-spec engine from japan...they all have 30k or less on them and you can get them for 750 bucks...you cant beat that....you can get 3 of those for the price of a rebuild....30k is nothing on these engines..A friend of mine told me his neighbor hooked up a j-spec Sr20 DET..yep, thats right DET for only 1500 bucks with 30K or less on it....without the turbo they cost half of that....i say go that route dude, hook up a DET if you wanna put the money into....Ill try to get you more info...

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AntonioG:
A J-spec engine probably won't pass smog unless you put the EGR system on it. The JDM exhaust manifold doesn't have a hole for the EGR pipe. Using a hs header would give you what you need and it bolts right up to the JDM engine.

Good luck!

</font>
Thanks for the information. Do you know any shops in the Bay Area that rebuild engines at a reasonable price? (If I decide to go that route).

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
[/b][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the information. Do you know any shops in the Bay Area that rebuild engines at a reasonable price? (If I decide to go that route).

[/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the labor rate in CA is horrendous, ~$75/hr or more. Rebuilding an engine is pretty time consuming so it will cost you alot. Unless you find a shop that will give you a flat price for an "engine rebuild," that's how you're gonna get charged.

Good luck!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

</font>

[/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the labor rate in CA is horrendous, ~$75/hr or more. Rebuilding an engine is pretty time consuming so it will cost you alot. Unless you find a shop that will give you a flat price for an "engine rebuild," that's how you're gonna get charged.

Good luck!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Gotcha.
Btw how long have you had your '91 and where in the bay area are you located?

·
8,148 Posts
You will pass emmissions with a 10:1 when you bolt the intake manifold from the old motor on the new 10:1 motor. Thats as simple as buying a new intake manifold gasket.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoNx2000:
definitaley hook up the J-spec engine from japan...they all have 30k or less on them and you can get them for 750 bucks...you cant beat that....you can get 3 of those for the price of a rebuild....30k is nothing on these engines..A friend of mine told me his neighbor hooked up a j-spec Sr20 DET..yep, thats right DET for only 1500 bucks with 30K or less on it....without the turbo they cost half of that....i say go that route dude, hook up a DET if you wanna put the money into....Ill try to get you more info...

</font>
Thanks I will look into that. I just want to make sure I can smog it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
A DET will not pass CA smog..A Primera motor will, all you have to do is pass all the smog BS from your old DE to the new Primera motor..

------------------
92'XE/w-Primera swap
NOS fed now!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:
You will pass emmissions with a 10:1 when you bolt the intake manifold from the old motor on the new 10:1 motor. Thats as simple as buying a new intake manifold gasket. </font>
Cool, thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Out here in Cali, the Primera motor will not pass just with the intake manifold swap, the exhaust mani doesn't have an 02 sensor
and looks like an aftermarket header so some inspectors will fail you...you will have to swap ALL of the smog equipment from your old DE to the Primera, that is if you want to pass smog. I left the Primera motor alone, but I have a shop that "Smogs" my car..$150

I did the swap my self; e-mail me privately for the details
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:
You will pass emmissions with a 10:1 when you bolt the intake manifold from the old motor on the new 10:1 motor. Thats as simple as buying a new intake manifold gasket. </font>

------------------
92'XE/w-Primera swap
NOS fed now!!!

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RED 91 SE-R:
Gotcha.
Btw how long have you had your '91 and where in the bay area are you located?
</font>
I have had my 91 for about 2.5 years now...I'm located down in the South Bay - Menlo Park. There's a lot of us Bay Area SE-R guys around (a lot I still haven't met)...we all should get together sometime to chill, work on cars, whatever!

Take it easy.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have had my 91 for about 2.5 years now...I'm located down in the South Bay - Menlo Park. There's a lot of us Bay Area SE-R guys around (a lot I still haven't met)...we all should get together sometime to chill, work on cars, whatever!

Take it easy.

</font>
Sounds cool... I've had my SE-R for about the same amount of time. But it sounds like you've done your homework- you're quite knowledgeable.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by enjoyDride:
A DET will not pass CA smog..
</font>
Not true. It won't pass visual, but there are folks who have passed the sniffer portion with no problems. The trick is finding a mod friendly smog shop.

George Roffe

·
Registered
441 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Geo91SER:
The trick is finding a mod friendly smog shop.

George Roffe
</font>
I'll have to correct George here. The trick is knowing SOMEONE who knows a smog station for racers.

Any folks here in the San Diego/Orange County area know of any particular racer-friendly smog stations?

I am not familiar with Burbank. How far is that from San Diego EnjoyDride?

By the way, how much are you squeezin on your primera motor? Any issues with the higher compression? <Sorry for the off-topic ?'s>

[This message has been edited by CruznSER (edited 07-22-2001).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts