SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '94 SE-R has a loud whistling noise above 4,000 rpm under hard throttle. Sounds like a cricket. I've changed the chain tensioner 3 times and I've checked the intake for leaks. Any suggestions? Car has 172,000 miles (all mine) and it's had this problem for 50,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope- no headers. I think it might be the chain tensioner, even though I've changed it three times. It only whistles when it's warmed-up, too, not when it's cold. Odd.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Is it just a whistleing sound coming from the passenager side? If so i got that too. Have no clue what it is, thinking its valve train noise. Ben said his car with the 91 intake cam made that sorta noise also at high revs. so could be either cams, chain, belts, something. Could be like the water pump or power steering pump but I havent seen any thing bad from it yet, other than it sounds like someone hid a turbo or super charger under my hood.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just an annoyance, really. I've had it for 50,000 miles so it couldn't be too bad- I drive the car hard all the time, too. My buddy's '94 has recently developed the same noise and his has 60,000 miles.

·
B13 Se-r Godfather
1,418 Posts
check out your flex pipe ..... i had the same problem .. a whistle sound above 3800rpm to redline.... it was the exhaust leaking out of the flex-pipe... i bought a hotshot header for the fix,but if you dont havethe money for that you can go to your local shop and get it fixed for a small fee.

G

·
0 Posts
I am also hearing this crazy noise. Only @ high revs, kinda like a chirping, reminds me of old vw's with the pea-shooter tail pipes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flex pipe sounds like a good possibility- I only have 175,000 miles on the original exhaust system, I guess I got my money's worth. Thanks for the idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts