SR20 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question regarding the installation of the ES polyurethane bushings into the control arm.
I've read and re-read Shell Black's article on se-r.net regarding this upgrade, but still have a question.
There is a steel sleeve that remains after the rubber bushing is removed. Does this stay in place and the new ES bushing is pressed in or does it have to come out. The size of the ES bushing (too large to fit with the sleeve inside) would suggest to me that the steel sleeve should come out. Any insight would be appreciated especially from those who have done this modification.

TIA,
Humberto Gonzalez
'92 SE-R

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BertG:
There is a steel sleeve that remains after the rubber bushing is removed. Does this stay in place and the new ES bushing is pressed in or does it have to come out. The size of the ES bushing (too large to fit with the sleeve inside) would suggest to me that the steel sleeve should come out. Any insight would be appreciated especially from those who have done this modification.

TIA,
Humberto Gonzalez
'92 SE-R
</font>
Some say the control arm bushing installation is easy. All I have to say to that is "Ugh..."

You are correct in your conclusion that the steel sleeve must come out. Unfortunately, there is a bit of glue holding it in. The technique I used may scratch the inner part of the control arm cylinder, which the ES instructions explicitly state not to do, hehe. Anyhow, here it is - pretty much what was written by Bill "The Arcstarter" in the SE-R mailing list archives, with a few small deviations:

You'll need:

-A large vice
-A large hammer
-A 1" diameter impact socket
-A torch (propane is fine)

First, position the control arm firmly in the vice. Next, heat the outer part of the bushing cylinder with the torch as evenly as possible. When the glue between the bushing sleeve and the control arm begins to bubble forth in submission, it is time to hammer the bushing sleeve out. Position the impact socket over the sleeve, and hammer away with the large hammer. The impact socket may get stuck in the cylinder after you're done hammering the sleeve out, and well, uh... You can use a large socket wrench and twist/pull the impact socket out. (This is where it's possible to scratch the inside of the cylinder.)

This is just the way I did it. I hope it helps you get some ideas. Before starting, I suggest that you check the archives again, and/or modify this technique as necessary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pit_Viper,

Thanks for the advice!
I searched the achieves and never ran across Bill "The Arcstarter"'s procedure to remove the inner steel sleeve.
I'll give those techniques a try sometime this week.

Thanks Again,
Humberto Gonzalez
'92 SE-R

1 - 3 of 3 Posts