SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a ****ING pain in the ASS!!!!! I have never been so frustrated by something that should have been so damn simple!!!!

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
727 Posts
Fill me in Matt, I am doing all of mine this weekend. Is it THAT bad? What should I look out for or have ready to utilize to make it a little easier? THANKS MAN!

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> Hot Shot CAI, Custom Apexi Cat Back, ST Shifter & G4 Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, B&G springs, 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Nitto's, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, 91 Cams, JWT CPU COMING SOON!

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Which one gave you touble? The front one isn't too bad. Use WD40 and a bench vise to press the bushing in. In the rear, I found its easier to sand the sides of the insert down a little so it will slide easier. This way you can line the bolt hole up. Try doing ES mounts when you are putting a motor in. That's a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry to hear it was that bad on you man. How to you like the vibes? If your spoiler is not tight in the middle it will start to viberate. Mine is.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have a bench vise. So...on the front one I trimmed the little "lip" around one side of the big insert and it slid into the mount with minumal cursing. I couldn't even get the little one on the bottom out, so screw it.

On the back, I removed the black support that goes from the bumper to behind the engine. The mount came with it. The inserts just would not compress enough to go back into the engine mount bracket. I had to take the bracket off (MAJOR P.I.T.A.), force it around the mount. Now I have this heavy ass rail, engine mount, and steel bracket that I have to hold in place while I get some bolts in to hold it in plce while I line everything up and all the while try not to drop the 14mm impact socket on my face again. Ouch!

These were $25, and $200 worth of hassel. I'm beginning to think the $200 mounts from JWT might have been a better idea. Certainly less hassel than fighting with those f-ing inserts.

This better be worth it...

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
If you ever have to take them out for a clutch job or anything else, sand the flat part down. This makes it eaiser to slide them in. Soapy water also helps. WD40 doesn't get them slick enough. I've put in a good amount of these mounts and the mixture of soapy water and sanding them down seems like the best way. You think a 14mm socket to the face is bad, try the crossmember on your head. OUUUUUCHHHH.

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Geez, i did the fluid mount on a friday night just b4 i went out, took bout 1 hr. I did the other three in about 4-5 hrs the next day.. I had a little trouble on the wishbone mount but i hammered the old out with my sockets. To get the new ones in i dropped my old van ontop of the two inserts starting with the small one then poked and prodded with a LONG flathead screwdriver. The rear was the big prob... so i cut the "fingers" off and stuck em in.. i dont recommend this to anyone else because i have yet to check if they stayed in.. as for my results? well it was better but im not impressed.. Could those of you that had se-rs new tell me what the stock oem torque set felt like? Did the engine move around before? Im thinking of replacing my torque set with new oem mounts. Maybe ill suck it up on the vibrations and go with the jwt mounts later. Either way i dont recommend these inserts.

[This message has been edited by Black93 (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I must have been the only one to not have any major problems installing ES mounts, with the exception of finding someone with a press to press in the solid mount for the passenger side. I've already done ES mount installs on both my cars. I just used 2 flathead screwdrivers with a little ingenuity and monkeyness to yank out the bottom mount on the dogbone. I used a flat piece of wood on the floor jack and lifted up to the crossmember to press in both mounts for the dogbone (one at at a time). The firewall and tranny mounts went in without a problem.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black93:
Maybe ill suck it up on the vibrations and go with the jwt mounts later. Either way i dont recommend these inserts.
</font>
The JWT mounts are more harsh (read: More vibration)

--Andrew Phan

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Took me and a friend about 45 mins to install the torque mount set.. the dogbone was easy in a vice... the rear mount we just lubed with lithium grease and put a putty knife on each side and jacked it up into place...
I really never thought they were that hard.. and they are well worth the 30 ish bucks, I am going to do a set of "pour your own" before i invest 225 for a set of jwt mounts...
later
david lau

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
I too didn;t have many problems. Other than waiting for Nissan to send me a new rear mount since mine was torn. My savior was a quick grip (by vice grips) And when your working witht he dog bone, remember to take out the metal insert BEFORE you try to squeeze the insert into place, it's much easier. As for the back mount, again I used the quick grip clamp to squeeze them into place, then I just greased the sides and slid the assembly into place. A friend and I did mounts on a buddy's NX and that took a little more than an hour.

late,
wes

·
Garage Queen: 91 VG30DETT
251 Posts
good thing all my troubles are over, all 4 of them. yup, it was a pain. taking them out, pressing them in with a vise, torching the old one, and putting them back in. took me the whole damn day!

------------------
91 SR20DE
97 H22A

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Ok my only problem was with the rear mount. When i did try to fit the whole thing in it didnt even seem properly contoured to my original mount. When i dropped a 3200lb van ontop of it , it remained stuck out about 1/4 of an inch. is this normal? I really dont want to hassle with urethane and i dont got 250 bucks for jwt.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the ES inserts front and rear. Try silicone grease or KY

I just ordered the urethane mounts from Place Racing. 3 mount set. No dogbone. There's a core charge. Place want's your old mounts. At least there's no pressing involved

Should have them in next week.
Cheers,

------------------
98 200SX Superblack, HSG2 CAI GC/KYB ACTSS UR

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just finished installing the passenger side motor mount with ES insert, but know my car pulls slightly to the right. I believe this is due to the center pivot position on the ES mount which lowered the motor slightly on this side. I was a little concern with this mount's pivot position since it differs about a half inch from OEM. Did anyone experience this with there installs, please advise!

Travis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts