SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try this stuff yet? They are making alot of claims. I think I am gonna try it this summer.

http://www.evanscooling.com/main20.htm

THE BENEFITS OF EVANS NPG COOLANT FOR RACE CAR ENGINES
INCREASES POWER
EXTENDS COOLING PERFORMANCE
IMPROVES DURABILITY
PROVIDES LOW, OR NO-PRESSURE SYSTEM
PROTECTS FROM BOIL-OVER
PERMITS INCREASED COMPRESSION WITHOUT DETONATION
PERMITS MORE SPARK WITHOUT DETONATION
ELIMINATES SYSTEM SCALING
PERMITS USE OF A SMALLER RADIATOR
ALLOWS ALTERNATE LOCATIONS FOR RADIATOR
PERMITS SMALLER FRONTAL OPENINGS TO IMPROVE AERODYNAMICS
REDUCES CORROSION
ELIMINATES PUMP CAVITATION
MAKES POSSIBLE SMALLER, LIGHTER ENGINES
PERMITS USE OF MAGNESIUM ENGINES WITHOUT EROSION PROBLEMS
PROLONGS HOSE LIFE
REDUCES MAINTENANCE
LENGTHENS LIFE OF ENGINE
ESSENTIALLY NON-TOXIC

·
I ride the deer!
921 Posts
Can't say I've ever used them

Maybe it's the "Joe Dominno" side of me (aka *******) but I've always used the same coolant we use in our Semi trucks, mixed with water and water wetter and had no problems with keeping cool....not saying the Evan's stuff is junk, but a FWIW.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
I don't think you can use that on the track though...

Grassroots tested it and seemed to like it, but they haven't used it in any of their other cars...

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Meh, worthless unless you have an N1/Stanza/GVogel pulley and a Koyo radiator as well.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Sounds like a propylene glycol based coolant. It's a common coolant that's used in Europe because of it's lowered toxicity to animals compared to ethylene glycol based coolants that we used here in the US. It's still toxic but if Fido drinks a small amount he won't be paws up from kidney failure in an hour.

From what research I've done on it you need to run PG in a higher concentration and it does provide better cooling properties via variances in nucleate boiling at higher temperatures over EG. That should stand to be a good focal point for the SR considering it's problems with head flow and hotspotting in the coolant system.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Meh, worthless unless you have an N1/Stanza/GVogel pulley and a Koyo radiator as well.
If it's a PG based coolant the physical properties of the coolant reduce cavitation via a large reduction in vapor pressure. Cavitation is generally caused by a reduction of inlet pressure beyond the point of the liquids vapor pressure causing it to create small air cavities. When the liquid is pumped and compressed it collapses the cavities. Result is less head pressure, less flow, less pumping efficiency, etc.

By using water (vapor pressure of 760mmHg) you are actually increasing the amount of cavitation present in the system. The fix the community has learned is to reduce the pump speed to lower the inlet suction. With the PG you don't need to lower the pump speed, in fact to get the same coolant performance you need to increase the flow of fluid since it has less thermal capacity.

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
A magazine over here tested in a consistent (even a bit unscientific way, not in an engine but in a controlled "heating and cooling apparatus" ) several coolants last year.

EVANS NPG+ was very near the top in every measured quantity but its very distinct feature was that it does NOT freeze under any temperature known to an inhabited area. It may be a very good year round solution for people in arctic temperature areas!

Note that there should be NO WATER at all in the cooling cirquit before using this. I do not know how this can be achieved but this is what they stress. I will look for the #s from the test and post them.

PS. They basically tested freezing point, boiling point, speed of heating up from a specified degC to another specified degC (supposedly showing the ability to remove heat from the engine) and speed of cooling down after heating was removed.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Ironically they are based about 10 miles from me. I know one b15 who did run the stuff. Maybe he will chime in if he see's this.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Nope but I did find the irony when I looked them up a few backs only to find out there are a very short drive away.

Actually a guy who I have weld a lot of my stuff welds up radiators for them.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
If it's a PG based coolant the physical properties of the coolant reduce cavitation via a large reduction in vapor pressure. Cavitation is generally caused by a reduction of inlet pressure beyond the point of the liquids vapor pressure causing it to create small air cavities. When the liquid is pumped and compressed it collapses the cavities. Result is less head pressure, less flow, less pumping efficiency, etc.

By using water (vapor pressure of 760mmHg) you are actually increasing the amount of cavitation present in the system. The fix the community has learned is to reduce the pump speed to lower the inlet suction. With the PG you don't need to lower the pump speed, in fact to get the same coolant performance you need to increase the flow of fluid since it has less thermal capacity.
Thanks for the explanation, Mr. Wizard.

My response, however, was to the "just use water and water wetter" post, not the use of this new-fandangled coolant... :D

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
I have never used it but when i was having Howe racing make my radiator i asked them about it. They told me some of the cars they have been building for had some issues and they wouldn't recommend it.

It's not scientific but it's what they said. Im just going to stick with distilled water and dex-cool antifreeze

1 - 17 of 17 Posts