SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So with that being said I'm leaning towards either a fmax stage 2, or a custom fabricated kit by Dre. Opinions?

***Andreas is a very good guy to deal with and he does very good work. I would recommend him 100%.

The F-MAX stage 2 kit is also a very good kit and will be able to get you into the 12's without question.

I've heard mention of Sr20Development.

***I am not sure about the pricing, but Chris is also a good guy to deal with and he does excellent work.

Someone mentioned to me that it's possible to swap a G20 5th gear so that you have a higher top end, is this true?

***Yes, I think I told you that a while back. The G20 5th gear has a lower gear ratio (longer gear), so a theoretical higher top speed will be possible. However, acceleration in 5th gear will not be as good.

The G20 5th gear will also allow you to cruise at a lower RPM, thus improving your gas mileage and driver comfort.

***E-mail me at [email protected] I have a lonely SR20 block and head sitting here just waiting to be used as a core for a major buildup like yours.

By the way, Andreas' number is 305-282-3643.

Good luck,

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Well.... with only $15k... I think you'll have to make a choice. Do you wanna go fast or look good? Or you can look sorta good and go sorta fast.

I'd probably spend $4k on a beater car to use while your car is down. So you gots $11k left to play with. Get the Motivational suspension(~$1500). If you go road racing, get the BABK. If you're only sticking to the street and don't go too crazy, NX2k brakes. Ah, **** that, get the BABK ($2k?).

As for the motor, I'd completely rebuild the DE. If you're going for big HP, you'd end up totally replacing everything on the DET anyway. So ECU, rods, pistons, turbo, IC, piping, boost controller, couple gauges, timer, clutch, ES control arm bushings and motor mounts(you WILL need them), shipping stuff here and there, labor .... well, that's the rest of the money and then sum.

I guess after you get the car running, sell the beater and use that money for any cosmetic stuff.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Jay, good to hear you're still around. As far as the kit that I was talking about from Andreas, from what I've heard he knows how to make a Nismo manifold flow really well. So I'm unsure of what to do about the turbo it's self. As far as racing goes. It will be mainly strip racing with a possible auto x here and there. With the cosmetics on my car I really won't have to spend too much. I'm getting a c/f hood for my birthday, and a c/f wing shortly to follow. The rest of the body kit shouldn't cost all that much either. So the majority of the money will be going to the engine/tranny. As far as suspension goes, only thing I plan to do is add some Agx's to my gc's. Possibly get the rear upper mounts from ME. I'm sure that I will have more then the 15k to spend it's just that I need to get the most expensive things out of the way with it.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Ok well I am almost certain that I will be fixing up my car as opposed to buying a new one. There really isn't any "fast" imports near where I live and I'd like to be the first to show them how it's done. So here's the deal. I'm on it $15,000 budget.. Yeah it might sound like a lot, but that money isn't just for the motor. First off I want to buy the rest of a body kit, get that painted, powdercoat my rims, buy a set of stocks, buy racing seats, possibly a roll bar, either a BABK, or a NX2k upgrade. Now with what I have left over from that I need to purchase all my gauges, controllers, pistons, rods, turbo stuff, and tranny stuff. So with that being said I'm leaning towards either a fmax stage 2, or a custom fabricated kit by Dre. Opinions? Also I have no idea about tranny rebuilding. I'd rather not shatter mine so I'm wanting to get the whole treatment done. I've heard mention of Sr20Development. What's a ballpark figure on pricing to get them to cryo treat gears, and weld the case shut? Someone mentioned to me that it's possible to swap a G20 5th gear so that you have a higher top end, is this true?I know a lot of you have a lot of knowledge about boosting, and I'd greatly appreciate your ideas, and thoughts on this. I can't wait until I can get in the little pissing matches with the rest of the 12 second club
Oh one last thing.. The car HAS to be streetable. It will most likely be my daily driver until I find some sort of hooptie for work travel. Thanks in advance.

------------------
96 se-r with a few goodies

[This message has been edited by Matt4Nissan (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Here's my opinion...

I'm a big fan of "all go, and no show", so I don't care much for body kits, etc. But what I recommend is that if you get a turbo kit, get the BABK. The NX brakes DO NOT cut it. All it takes is one effortless jaunt to 130 MPH to realize that. I also recommend the Motivational suspension but that's a matter of personal taste. However, you will need some sort of heavy duty suspension to keep your car shiny side up, and the Motivational is a very good one.

My basic advice is if you're going turbo, then you need to re-arrange your priorities. Get the turbo stuff, then do the tranny, brakes and suspension FIRST, before you do anything else. Once it's all paid for, then use what's left on body kits, powdercoating, painting etc. If you're going to run 12s, you do not want to do it with stock or NX brakes, and you don't want to do it with crappy or stock suspension.

That's IMO. I realize everybody feels differently about it, but at this point I feel like I've owned enough of this stuff to have a justifiable opinion about it. Oh, and I do recommend SR20 Development for whatever you need done. Chris is very good. He can do that G20 5th gear swap for you too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts