SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to track down the cause of excessive motor and transmission movement. What do I mean by excessive? In first gear, if I make any throttle adjustment other than the most MINOR one, the drive train *noticeably* moves. The lurch is borderline scary-sever. Imagine in your car stabbing the throttle to about 50% and then completely off. It's really bad.

I've had this problem since I purchased the car 8 months ago. Initially I thought it was worn motor mounts, but I've replaced them all and the dogbone and the problem persists. I'm an accomplished driver, so I'm pretty sure I'm not a factor. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm an accomplished driver, so I know I'm not a factor. Thanks for any help you can provide.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car is a 1997 200SX SE-R with 84,000 miles. It's in good - very good mechanical shape. I knew the previous driver and he's easier on cars than I.

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Wow, this is interesting to know. In case it happens to anyone else. I don't know, but you sound pretty sure that the motor mounts are intact and tight (all the bracket bolts, brackets, etc..) Only other thing I can think of is your suspension. Anyone else?

-saaby

------------------
Red 99 SE with: CAI, Stillen Front STB, Redline MT90, ES Motor Mounts (4-set)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I inspected all the motor mounts myself, so I'm pretty sure they're not the cause.

I had thought of suspension and also tires as the culprit. The tires on there now are super crap and have very mushy sidewalls. (I've been using a different car on a daily basis up until now, so none of these problems really bugged me.)

Perhaps is the combination of crap tires and worn suspension?

·
Registered
254 Posts
"Initially I thought it was worn motor mounts, but I've replaced them all and the dogbone and the problem persists."

It may be the motor mounts. My stock 98 SE motor mounts(46,000 miles) are in fine shape, but first and second gear throttle changes upset the car. The engine and tranny lurch back and forth, rocking the entire car. You can even see the short shifter rock back and forth.

I plan to borrow a friend's "dogbone" that has been filled with urethane to see if helps quell the engine/tranny rotation. When I finally get it installed, I'll post my impressions.

CB

[This message has been edited by Chris Bryant (edited 04-04-2001).]

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Initially I thought it was worn motor mounts, but I've replaced them all and the dogbone and the problem persists. </font>
Did you replace them with factory or with Energy Suspension?
The engine/tranny movement that you feel can be reduced with the ES dogbone inserts, and can be almost eliminated by adding the inserts to the rear insulator (the one on the crossmember by the firewall).
The motion in the shifter will still be there if you do the dogbone only. The shifter rod mounts to the tranny right next to the rear insulator, so those inserts are needed to reduce the shifter motion.

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by trenton:
I've been trying to track down the cause of excessive motor and transmission movement. What do I mean by excessive? In first gear, if I make any throttle adjustment other than the most MINOR one, the drive train *noticeably* moves. The lurch is borderline scary-sever. Imagine in your car stabbing the throttle to about 50% and then completely off. It's really bad.
</font>

Factory mounts move that much, that's why we replace them.

Mine moved enough to ground the MAF against the master cylinder and blow a fuse!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll give the Energy Suspension components a try. I searched around on suspension.com but could only find this page for Nissan parts and the SE-R wasn't on there.

Where can I find ordering information for the ES dogbone and motor mounts?

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Where can I find ordering information for the ES dogbone and motor mounts?</font>
To find information for the ES motor mounts, go to:
www.energysuspension.com
The motor mounts are listed to be for pre 95's I believe but just know that they will fit your car assuming that you have the sr20de. You can't order from Energy Suspension.

To order, you can try calling
www.courtesynissan.com

-saaby

------------------

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:
Mine moved enough to ground the MAF against the master cylinder and blow a fuse!

</font>
Holy **** Jay, that is a lot, and i thought mine were bad! I could actually hear a clunk sometimes when i left off the gas, and im not sure what it was but Es solved it :-D

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Saaby:
You can't order from Energy Suspension.

</font>
Yeah u can. But itll take longer to get to you than it would from Courtesy. FYI, i ordered mine form Courtesy, they were here in 5 days, and they cost 78 bucks shipped for the whole set, i think. Check the archives on se-r.net for install instructions, if you do buy em! The pass side mount is a beotch. Hoope you have a dremel. i had to go buy one for 40 bucks at walmart to get the job done

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yeah u can (order from Energy Suspension)</font>
I called Energy Suspension about 3 weeks ago to order the 4 motor mounts and they said that they only sell to businesses and not individuals. They directed me to order their motor mounts from elsewhere. Their policy might have changed recently to stop selling to individuals.

-saaby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Saaby (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Mine moved enough to ground the MAF against the master cylinder and blow a fuse!</font>
Yup. Been there done that. Twice at the dragstrip, twice around town. Took me a week or two to figure out what in the hell was doing it.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Saaby:
I called Energy Suspension about 3 weeks ago to order the 4 motor mounts and they said that they only sell to businesses and not individuals. They directed me to order their motor mounts from elsewhere. Their policy might have changed recently to stop selling to individuals.

-saaby

</font>
Thats wierd, i called about 5 weeks ago, id say, to order mine. I got a lady on the phone and i told her what i wanted and she put me on hold to talk to a salesperson. I hung up cuz they took too long and thats when i called Courtesy.

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts