SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Boost Addict
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a 3 inch aluminized Magnaflow straight-through muffler. I want to know which would fit best on a SE-R? 4x9 or 5x8? I tried searching but didn't get a direct answer. Any help would be appreciated.

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
The body on the stock muffler is about 12 inches or so, so neither of them would be too long. Both would fit, but unless you've got your motor all cammed out or you've got a turbo, a 3" muffler would deplete lots of your bottom-end power.

·
Registered
862 Posts
white classic said:
The body on the stock muffler is about 12 inches or so, so neither of them would be too long.
4x9 or 5x8 refers to the height and width of the muffler, not the length.

Magnaflow offers these with an 14" long body (20" long overall) that should fit. They also offer these with an 18" body (24" long overall), but I'm guessing that's too long to fit on our cars. Anyone know for sure?

·
Boost Addict
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I didn't mention it guyz, but I got an Avenir @10psi so I think a 3 inch exhaust is in order. Right now I have 2.5. It's ok but it's a little loud and cops been cracking down on this. So if I got to change my muffler I might as well do the whole thing.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
A 3" exhaust will probably be louder then your current 2.5 system unless you are running a test pipe and no resonator. I have a 3" VRS system with a long resonator, and an oval Magnaflow muffler and with a test pipe its still pretty loud. Its not bad around town but highway trips *suck* I am upgrading to a resonated test pipe to quiet it down a little more.

·
Registered
989 Posts
chipey23 said:
I'm looking to get a 3 inch aluminized Magnaflow straight-through muffler. I want to know which would fit best on a SE-R? 4x9 or 5x8? I tried searching but didn't get a direct answer. Any help would be appreciated.
i am going on this exact route....

i m pretty sure a 5x8 will fit. the stock muffler heatshield measures 18" long, so i am wondering if the 18" mufflers will fit too...

my plan is to hold off until i weld my 3" VRS kit in to check for space left in the muffler area.

another idea, cut a cardboard out using the measurements on magnaflow website to test fit... i plan to do this b4 i buy the muffler

·
Boost Addict
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a good idea. Maybe I'll try it or you can let me know if it fits for sure.

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
I got my Magnaflow 3in/out muffler from www.ajusa.com I got the 41819(i think that's the number) SS Race muffler with tip for $106 shipped.

it's 5x8 14in I also have a 14in resonator and 3in piping
O

·
Boost Addict
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OnyxEros said:
I got my Magnaflow 3in/out muffler from www.ajusa.com I got the 41819(i think that's the number) SS Race muffler with tip for $106 shipped.

it's 5x8 14in I also have a 14in resonator and 3in piping
O
Yeah, let us know how loud is it with this set. If it's decent I'll definitely get that muffler. It looks nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts