SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is exhaust pipe measured by its OD like tubing or by ID like pipe ? I cant remember ? I'm wondering because I have some 2" light wall stainless pipe laying around and I was thinking about hot bending it up for a new exhaust pipe. or should I get 2.25" pipe instead, will a 1/4 inch really make a hole lot of difrents in flow ? I don't have a header and I will be taking out my cat since it is at its end of its life, and I don't have the cash to replace it right now, So what is better 2" or 2.25" pipe ?

G

·
0 Posts
2.25" pipe is what's factory on most(if not all)of the SR20DE cars-I wouldn't see a need to go bigger unless you have a Turbo or something.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Actually no, that's not right Chris. If that were the case, then all of the aftermarket exhaust companies would be out of business! Unless, you're talking about outer diameter. I've never measured outer diameter so I wouldn't know. Inner diameter is actually quiet small and this is what is the important one. My suggestion is stick with 2 1/4", unless you plan on running NOS. This is a pretty good size and is a tad bit smaller than the Greddy (which is roughly 2.36 inches, or 60mm).

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

[This message has been edited by nsracer (edited 03-09-2001).]

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
The OD of my stock B pipe was a hair short of 2"s. I was interested in that one day. So I would guess inside diamater of like 1.75 or so. It was like 1.85 or so OD. The b14's are a tad smaller too IIRC. Yea much past 2.25 you are probaly too big for a NA engine. 2.5 is the total upper boundery for a NA car and there you lose torque.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Yea, I'd go with 2.25" for most NA car's. I've got 2.5" but I plan on squeezing soon.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header(not installed), Hotshot CAI (to be installed after I return from Canada)

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
2.25" pipe is what's factory on most(if not all)of the SR20DE cars-I wouldn't see a need to go bigger unless you have a Turbo or something.</font>
what what?! no way, there would be no such thing as GReddy then, lol. The stock exhaust of a sr20 is either 1 5/8 or 1 7/8 i cant remember which. The best bet is to go no bigger than 2.25 inch mandrel bent.

------------------
Ryan Walsh...Hmmm, what should I buy with my $708 bucks from income tax returns?!

G

·
0 Posts
OK, I stand corrected....I've only measured the OD....2" huh, geez, that's pretty small....

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so when you guys are talking about the 2.25 your talking about the ID, not the OD ?
And what gage and/or schedule is the pipe ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts