SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out a friend of mine works at a NAPA. He said he can get 3 inch piping(steele) sold by 10 feet for $43. So im leaning towards customing my own piping for my b14 4door. Do any of you know what type of bends i need and how many feet of straight piping i need... starting from the downpipe(not "J" pipe). I wanna try and not do any bending... all welding. Some info would be greatly appreciate.. DOMO! :biggthump

·
Turbo-VVL finally
780 Posts
Yeess! I just found this out myself. :biggthump
If the b14 exaust is ran like the b13 (prolly just a little longer) You will need 1 U-bend to cut into 2 90's... the 1 more u-bend to make a little rolling off-set over the rear suspension. You might want to add a flanged joing by your muffler. I think they only sell u-bends and j-bends they are both around the same price $20.00.
I just bought some to make my turbo intake piping.
If you need some stuff welded just let me know.

Jimmy

Plus bending 3" isn't the best idea... most local benders kink the **** out of anything larger than 2.5".

·
Registered
410 Posts
yeap...like he said...and get ready for alot of cutting and re-doing! mistakes happen....unless you have no mistakes doing it then your good....

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
chirpin4th said:
Yeess! I just found this out myself. :biggthump
If the b14 exaust is ran like the b13 (prolly just a little longer) You will need 1 U-bend to cut into 2 90's... the 1 more u-bend to make a little rolling off-set over the rear suspension. You might want to add a flanged joing by your muffler. I think they only sell u-bends and j-bends they are both around the same price $20.00.
I just bought some to make my turbo intake piping.
If you need some stuff welded just let me know.

Jimmy

Plus bending 3" isn't the best idea... most local benders kink the **** out of anything larger than 2.5".

im pretty sure its just like the B13, it only changes once you get to the rear axle

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys. so.. 2 u bends and how much straight pipe? Jimmy i think a friend of mine saw ur car at hypersports??

·
Turbo-VVL finally
780 Posts
^^ You should be able to get by with the minimum 10".

Maybe he did, but probably not since I have owned it. I think they put the engine in the 1st time for the guy I bought the car off. It was pretty hammered. Sometimes I go to that shop next to there though?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i bought 10 feet of steel like u for 40 bucks also, 3 u bends from summit they were like 15 each a 3 inch high flow magna flow cat for around 110, anda hooker muffler for roughly 60. then i used 3 inch 3 bolt flanges to help me get angles easier at places i would have to make perfect angles with but welds not to mention it makes it eisier for taking apart or putting up to hang by yourself.

i used half a u bend for the down pipe another half at one turn under the seat fromt he middle of the car over to another half where the exhaust heads to the muffler Then i cut yet another bend in half and just rotated them to get a kinda S lookin thingy which by the way was the only thing i but welded because i couldnt get my 3 inch pipe flare tool to fit in because of the immediate bends. The flanges i used wen before the S bend i made so i could angle it as high up away from the suspension as possible and the second set was put after it so i could angle the exhaust so tha the tip came out from the body where i wanted. After that i just used the tip off the last half bend for a turn down off my muffler to help focas the sound to the ground, and i have to say my exhaust is pretty darn quiet and has a nice rumble which is exactly what i wanted.

·
Turbo-VVL finally
780 Posts
Yeah^^^^^ so since he already has a d.p. he should be fine with two bends. One for the to 90's.
half at one turn under the seat fromt he middle of the car over to another half where the exhaust heads to the muffler Then i cut yet another bend in half and just rotated them to get a kinda S lookin thingy
and the "s looking thingy" is the rolling offset I was talking about.

So two u-bend and a 10 footer should do just fine.

·
Nissan Mut Car...
1,125 Posts
dxpxe said:
good, hope he does it too, nothing like fabbing something yourself and saving 400 bucks to boot
Local muffler shops will run the piping for you for a little over a hundred bucks.

·
Turbo-VVL finally
780 Posts
NaLLa8705 said:
Local muffler shops will run the piping for you for a little over a hundred bucks.
No way would an exhaust shop run a 3" mandrel bent set-up (piping) for anywhere close to $100.00, I'd say he hit the nail on the head with the $400.00 estimate. A lot of shops won't bend 3" in there bender.... you might as well go with 2.5".

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the info guys. yea.. local exhaust shops is at least 200.

·
Turbo-VVL finally
780 Posts
Exhaust system Hawaii quoted me $685.00 with $235.00 of that being the N1 muffler... Yeah I'm sure you could get it done a little cheaper than this.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
how about.... get a friend who can weld or whos brother can weld and just make a day out of it hangin out BS-ing. Maybe throw him 50 bucks or bring a few cases of soda as a thanks in advance and have him weld after u get the cuts all ready and set up in place from him to tack then take down and set a good weld. Just do that bit by bit we had my exhaust all set hangers and all by 9 oclock starting at 3ish

1 - 17 of 17 Posts