SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a bunch of reading about exhaust systems on the 98-99 SE. My goal is to keep it stealth while increasing the breathing (smaller tip/no coffee can) and keep the noise down a bit. I understand the stock cat flows well so I plan on keeping it. I would like to get a cat back system and maybe a B pipe. Any suggestions? How about a B pipe that is a bolt on? What have you other B14 owners done? What dia is best for N/A cars 2 1/4 or 2 1/2? I don't want to go too big or I am guessing that low end will suffer.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Keep your exhaust at 2" in diameter. 2.25" if you plan on going with some SE-Rious up grades. Anything larger than that and your bottom end will suffer. Also if you go with a cat back exhaust. Have a Thrush glasspack muffler welded in right after the cat. The Thrush should be about 24" long. That and a good straight through muffler (Dynomax, Thermal Research,etc), will get you good performance with out it being to loud.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, I agree, the stock exhaust flows pretty well, and if you are going to make some power, make it about 2.25 inches (I want to go to 2.5 b/c of NOS) but if you want to keep it stealthy go with the stillen exhaust, and that is just an axle back and about $225, instead of the $500 that you would blow on a good cat back.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The courtesy exhaust (60-61mm, about 2 3/8) was dyno tested and I didn't think it lost any bottom end. I know it doesn't fit perfectly, but just wanted to add the diameter to the discussion. Although good luck finding a shop with metric piping here in the states. From what I have read 2.25" is better than 2" if you plan to do *all* the bolt ons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too am looking at exhaust. I currently have a 99 SE Limited with a crush bent exhaust, and am looking at getting a mandrel bent one. (If you say the bends over the axle, you would understand). Has anyone heard of TopSpeed? A guy I know that has a shop says it is bettter than Greddy, and HKS. It is about $475. Any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts