SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kinda at odds with whether to go with a 2.25" exhaust pipe or 2.5" pipe on my B13 SE-R. I would like some help in this matter, so any advice would be welcomed. The engine in the car is a USDM SR20DE but I am thinking to change to a JDM SR20DE engine, not sure yet. Oh,by the way what is the difference between JDM and the USDM SR20DE? MY engine has 145,000 miles on it. How much longer does anyone think it will last me?

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
My advice to you is SEARCH!!!! It all depends on what modifications you have done or are planning on doing. This has been covered numerous times. Help yourself before asking others for help.

·
Registered
668 Posts
right, but is the difference only liek 3 or 4 hp or is it more like 5-7 hp? I wanted to know if the 2.25 piping I have was a mistake or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The census I am seeing is that once you go with cams, then you go with the 2.5" application.
]I am kinda at odds with whether to go with a 2.25" exhaust pipe or 2.5" pipe on my B13 SE-R. I would like some help in this matter, so any advice would be welcomed. The engine in the car is a USDM SR20DE but I am thinking to change to a JDM SR20DE engine, not sure yet. Oh,by the way what is the difference between JDM and the USDM SR20DE? MY engine has 145,000 miles on it. How much longer does anyone think it will last me?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
668 Posts
a jdm engine is the same as usdm except tubular header and if you get really lucky it will sometimes have 10:1 compression (usually have a red valve cover).

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
2.25 is best in my opinion, I have not read anything that justifies 2.5 exhaust on a N/A motor. I have all of the popular bolt on mods except pullies and I 've also had a GREDDY MX exhaust. The exhaust itself was a poor fit. I also prefer the piping to be as uniform as possible with limited noise. I currently have a 2.25 VRS catback which was a far less bulky fit. My header down pipe is 2inch to a 2.5 Hi-Flow cat to 2.25 resonator,mid-pipe, and muffler. I luv this exhaust. ;)

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
paradyme said:
2.25 is best in my opinion, I have not read anything that justifies 2.5 exhaust on a N/A motor.
You obviously just don't read then. :rolleyes:

Stock, your fine with 2.25. Anything more, your gonna want 2.5". This has been discussed since the forum opened and beyond. In numerous threads and other topics.

You say you never read anything that justifies a 2.5 on N/A which proves you need to be quiet. Why would Mike suggest 3" on larger N/A motors? Hmm I wonder. And for the medium...why would anyone recommend 2.5"? Hmm, I wonder. Probably cuz people know what they are talking about before they speak.

The only thing I can see why you can't justify going from 2.25 to 2.5 with bolt-ons and cams...is if you already have it, you don't feel like building the car anymore or money is an issue. If you want to continue to build the car or get every once of power, you'll need 2.5". But if you don't want to spend the money, then why ask. You could have searched and found that out.

If you haven't bought the exhaust yet, think about what you are doing to the car. Are you building it beyond 2 other bolt ons? Are you getting cams? Are you interested in buying the best parts or cheap shitty parts that produce power over stock.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahadlgfja jaoe;fij alsfjka fja. Don't mind me, I haven't taken my pills and I'm just pissed off today for some ghey ass reason. Ahhhhhh ****. I'll just stay off for the rest of the day. Grrr.

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Look coward, I was respectfully responding to a question on this thread. I ask that YOUR ignorant ass visit the initial post a view what was asked here (Minding My Business). I have the right to voice my lone opinion regardless of what you believe. And your more than tired to believe I'd let your punk ass disrespect me. Go piss in another direction.

·
Registered
775 Posts
true a the car would benifit from 2.5 after all the boltons but what makes you think he doesn't want better everyday drivability of a 2.25. i always thought that a 2.25 would improve low end throttle response

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Best bet, from allllllll the previous information and the newly updated information from Mike K.... 2.25 for stock and a few bolt ons, 2.5 once you start hitting the cam upgrades. That's the bottom line, period.

Nothing wrong with 2.25, even with full bolt ons, you'll just be missing a few more hp... not a big deal imo.

It's not a matter of being cheap, it's about being practical. Just don't forget, once you start the upgrades, you will never stop... it will always cost you more time and money regardless where you start.

Peace Out,
Mark

P.S. Wow, I agreed with Paradyne, Hell just cooled by 10 deg, ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
im allmost fraid to jump in here but the "RULE" of exaust is this
1 - get it out as hot and as fast as possible
hence the creation of mandrel bends and large pipes.
2 - smaller pipe = more low end torque less top end HP
3 - lagrer pipe more top end HP less low end torque
these rules kinda sorta apply to turbo cars also but we get all the back psi we need from the wastegate, but the exaust does still play a role in the game.Larger exaust will let the turbo spool faster due to less back psi
these rules apply to all of us no matter how many cubes we have .there is a new rendition of an old theory
about dumping a smaller front section in to a larger rear section and kinda splitting the difference between top end HP and low end torque .

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
mYseRgOesvrOOm said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahadlgfja jaoe;fij alsfjka fja. Don't mind me, I haven't taken my pills and I'm just pissed off today for some ghey ass reason. Ahhhhhh ****. I'll just stay off for the rest of the day. Grrr.
Uh dude....

...pssst!...

...come here sec...

...Hey, listen to me...

...just a little word of advice...

STAY OFF THE DRUGS MAN! :tongue:

Or maybe go back on them. One or the other. :cool:

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
ahahaha. yeah...go back on them. ;). sry guys, i was just unpill happy yesterday. i was in a really pissy mood. i dunno why. owell...mah bad.

jason

·
Registered
999 Posts
with all the info on this forum about this subject it still comes down to your personal decision.

·
Banned
505 Posts
2.1718934 inch pipe would be perfect for the auto.

id say 2.25

1 - 20 of 41 Posts