SR20 Forum banner

exhaust?

973 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  NismoPC 
#1 ·
ok, i was going to open my exhaust to custom 2-1/4 inch exhaust which is slightly more open than stock, go with a high flow cat, and delete my resonator all together. am i going to lag in the lower rpm's and gain in the upper? will i lose torque, cause thats not what i want. thanks alot. btw, the guy i know doing all the work wants 350 for the custom piping, high flow cat, and installation. this a good deal?

#2 ·
I just got my exaust done customly by a meinekee shop, 2.25" and they charged me 120 bucks for the custom piping and installation. My resonator is off at the moment because it was the stock one and i have the stock cat. My car feels great, its breathing so much better then it was and i actually feel like i gained some torque at the low end instead of losing some. The high flow cat might hurt your low end a bit, but it will help you up top. That setup should be fine, but the price seems a little much, unless he is using mandrel bends.

------------------
1992 NX2000
White
K&N Cone intake, Bosal Performance muffler and 2.25" cat back

#4 ·
I wouldn't recommend the high flow cat, unless yours is on the outs. The se-r/nx came with a cat that has good flow already, getting a high flow one will give you very minimal gains.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

#5 ·
thats exactly why im putting another resonator on there, its nice and deep unitil you wind it out, its gets all tinny sounding. IM gonna be getting either a glasspack for a 2.25" resonator. I would do the same if i were you.

------------------
1992 NX2000
White
K&N Cone intake, Bosal Performance muffler and 2.25" cat back

#6 ·
okay so ill leave my stock cat on, since you guys say its got a decent flow already, but i heard ill gain hp if i take off the resonator. but i DONT want it to sound like a crx. if i take it off will that happen?

#8 ·
Go with the 2.25" Thrush Glasspack Muffler ($15). It is a 20" can and the overall length is 25". You can have them weld on flanges at both ends. The Thrush will mount directly to the cat then will flange mount to the remaining 2.25" piping.

I did this so that if the Thrush goes bad (rusts, etc.) I can replace it without too much trouble. Just unbolt it, buy a new one for $15, have a shop weld on two new flanges and Voila', back in business.

And, yes, it makes a hell of a difference with the sound levels. You do not get that RaspaBuzzRasparasparaspaBuzz! sound with the glasspack acting as a resonator.

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

[This message has been edited by NismoPC (edited 09-18-2001).]

#10 ·
AC7880

That is the same Thrush I went with. It is the Thrush 25" Magna 2 1/4" in/out Glasspack Muffler #24201. The inner diameter of the perforated core is actually 2", but I did not think that would make much of a difference in overall performance. I am absolutely thrilled with the set up. I went with 2.25" crush bend 15+ year stainless tubing and a Borla Turbo 2.25" rear section. All using the OEM hangers as well.

This is my total out the door cost:

$89 - Borla 2.25" Turbo shipped to my door
$15 - Thrush #24201 glasspack from Jegs Performance Shop
$7 - Cheap ass stainless tip from Advance Auto Parts
AND
$150 - custom 2.25" stainless crush bends and stainless hangers from shop in Zanesville, OH
-------------
$260 - Approx. total for all parts and installation

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.