SR20 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sport mufflers laying in my garage would I would my car gain any power if I made it a dual mufflers on it, I figure more exhuast flow is better,right??

------------------
1991 NX2000 W/SR20DET SWAP,HKS INTAKE,3" EXHUAST,E.S. BUSHINGS AND MOUNTS.

NX 1600 INTAKE,AND EXHUAST

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
More exhaust flow is better, but two mufflers isn't going to do that for you. What you need is a full 3" exhaust system, from the downpipe all the way back. You need all 3" components as well, such as the cat, a glasspack midpipe if you want one (and I suggest you get one because it'll be f'n LOUD if you don't) and a 3" muffler. Make sure your muffler is a turbo muffler, meaning a straight through muffler, not a standard muffler. Make sure all your components are straight through.

Adding another muffler won't help anything if your whole exhaust system is too small. FWIW, I used to own a 93 NX2000 with a DET engine. I added a full 3" exhaust system and got almost 30 HP. Turbos hate backpressure, so you have to open up your exhaust system as much as you possibly can. To keep it as quiet as possible (and believe me it's still going to be somewhat loud), get the longest components you can. If you can get a 20+" muffler that's good. If you can get a long midpipe that's good too, 20" or longer. Just make sure they're all straight-through components and that they're all 3" diameter.

Your engine will thank you and you'll gain a good bit of horsepower.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts