SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain what pillow ball mounts are on the suspension. I dont really understand the difference between these and regular mounts. thanks

nathan

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
regular mounts use rubber bushings to mount the shaft to. Pillow ball mounts use a sphereical bearing which has no slop/deflection/etc.

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, thanks man.

nathan

spdracerUT said:
regular mounts use rubber bushings to mount the shaft to. Pillow ball mounts use a sphereical bearing which has no slop/deflection/etc.

·
8,886 Posts
Not 100% accurate. The oem has a bearing similiar in design (but very poor quality) to the pillowball that the GC uses. This bearing allows the spindle of the Strut to rotate when you turn the wheel. The OEM piece then mounts that cheap bearing in a fashion with metal/rubber isolators that allow the shaft to move a small amount as the wheel compresses. The pillowballs use a high quality bearing to allow the wheels to turn left and right but a seperate non-rubber setup to allow the shaft to move as the wheel compresses. Its kinda like a ball and socket setup for the front to back movement.

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH, thanks then steve. I got the basic idea from the other guy but that was a little more detailed. The reason i ask, i think i will order the D2 coilovers. One of my buddies from japan said that they have a good reputation... and my current suspension is SHOT! So i will pay the extra $80 for the pillow ball mounts.
thanks

nathan

·
8,886 Posts
sr20sleeper said:
OH, thanks then steve. I got the basic idea from the other guy but that was a little more detailed. The reason i ask, i think i will order the D2 coilovers. One of my buddies from japan said that they have a good reputation... and my current suspension is SHOT! So i will pay the extra $80 for the pillow ball mounts.
thanks

nathan

Yep, its worth $80 for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts