SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
master of nothing
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a 46mm tial w/g can i just run it open or do i have to make a dump tube. What are the advantage of running a tube? My wastegate opening faces the ground so it will not dump hot air on any thing.

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
I would run a tube simply because hot air rises (I assume that the wastegate is situated like if it was a Tial 38mm) and it would eventually catch on to some plastic and melt it.
BTW...why not run it like the pros do...run a dump tube to the side of the bumper and cut a hole and put some aluminum cover around the hole? Just an idea.

Manny

·
master of nothing
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well when that thing blow off I will not be standing still so the moving air should take car off that. plus with all the piping and my equel leght and my down pipe. I really don't have room + I am sick of making **** lol

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
Well..I wonder...even though your moving when the w/g opens...I still think it will melt things because air is not being vented/circulated too well. For example... behind a pickup truck (on the bed). If you place a plastic bag by the window...it will just circle around on the bed because of the drag effect. Doesn't this same rule apply?

Manny

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
STEVE!!! you gotta run a dump tube buddy!!! at least a short one.. it will make a mess if you dont... and it would be possible for foreign objects to enter the wastegate
(even though its blowing out--crap may still go in>>especially while moving fast on the road, etc)
Luckily my 46mm came with one, but it wouldnt take much to make a little one for your application....

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
yeah, it leaves soot EVERYWHERE. plus, when it dumps, it doesnt shoot straight down or anything. when my dump tube checked out at the track event, it would melt everything in a 180* arc from the opening. sucked.

i just ran a PEP BOYS flex section. you can get them in all kinds of sizes, and they can fit anywhere. just weld a short pipe onto the dump flange, then either clamp the pipe onto that pipe, or weld it on. they are so thin that it is best to weld it onto the pipe instead of the flange.

·
Big Daddy $
1,240 Posts
I've got about 6" tube on mine right now. I want to extend it though, maybe out the side...who knows? lol

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
i dump mine underneath, right next to the crossmember. far enough out right there to keep the soot out of the engine bay. i had it out the side, but it would either rattle on something, or it would fall off, as that is a lot of weight far away from the gate that isnt supported (cant support it from the frame, because the engine moves, and the engine is at least 12" worth of pipe away).

its also WAY too loud out the side, i dont need to get arrested, ****.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I know this is a real noob question but how do you make your own dump tube? Does the wastegate come with a flange and then you just weld your own pipe onto it? I know on the opening for the wastegate there is a flange so I would figure you'd have to order it from someplace or would come with the wastegate when it was ordered.... and then just find a small piece of pipe and make your dump tube correct? Thanks.

David

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
200sxsr20de said:
I know this is a real noob question but how do you make your own dump tube? Does the wastegate come with a flange and then you just weld your own pipe onto it? I know on the opening for the wastegate there is a flange so I would figure you'd have to order it from someplace or would come with the wastegate when it was ordered.... and then just find a small piece of pipe and make your dump tube correct? Thanks.

David
Yes..it comes w/ a flange. The W/G is just like a mini-exhaust.

Manny

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
200sxsr20de said:
Thanks Manny

David

i am going to be running into the same problem soon too. i dont want to pay the extra to have it made into my dp. i will find a good place to run it too... and another thing is the sound to loud.. and what kind of sound is it? thanks guys

·
boosting
1,454 Posts
thats only when the wastegate is opening, If you drive normal you shouldn't have a problem with the cops depending upon what size spring you have, but you will have that problem as long as its vented into the atmosphere and not the downpipe. But I havent had time to build a dump tube for mine and there is soot all over the radiator because of it.

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
a 46mm eh! Very nice, open dump is the way to go. I like to get the tube as close to crossmember height as possible and facing directly towards the ground. If that is not possible try to get it venting to an open area with nothing in its path! Good luck with your turbo project!!!!!!

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
i put a 90* bend coming straight off the wastegate. after this, i put a pep boys flexible exhaust pipe and ran it so it dumps right next to the crossmember under the car. works good enough that way, and i dont have a bunch of soot in the engine bay.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
sounds good! ill try open at first and if that is obnoctious then i will change it. open exhaust is very lough lol! atleast it was on my sentra na...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts