SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll tell you what....I'll NEVER try to do another speaker install on my 93 Classic!! I bought the car with a blown set of front speakers(hey, what do you want for cheap?), so I went to Crutchfield(among other places) to see a fitment guide for front and rear fill. Holy S**t!! Nissan uses some sort of weird mounting plate to house the speakers in(which BTW are tiny-like 3"x5" or something). Sooo....The 5 1/4's I bought needed some "coaxing" to get them to fit inside of what was basically a HUGE hole in the door after the stockers were removed. I suppose I should take it apart again in the spring and Dynamat the open area, but I'm not spending another 5 hours in 10 degree weather to do that....

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
yeah, mine were a pain, too! I have Polk dbs up there (5 1/4") but cruthfield sent me an adapter plate and it fit fine in the cavity. Once you get that door panel thing down, it's not as tough (I've had to remove mine for the stereo twice and twice for window tinting).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just installed 6.5 inch speakers on my 91' classic. It took me many many hours, but I made speaker wooden speaker baffles to mount the speakers on. I then had to cut a hole big enough to fit the holes in the plastic door panels. Finally I sealed up the doors with 2 layers of viscoelastic (like dynamat only cheaper, lighter and blocks twice as much sound.) I then caulked any remaining holes to seal up the entire door cavity.

All of this gave me excellent midbass and virtually no vibrations. My car sounds like a Lexus now thanks to all the sound deadening (Although I did the entire car, not just the doors.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually went out and purchased some of that underbody filler, and filled where i could, and it sounds OK until you start cranking up the volume(i think the problem is the factory speaker wire), where it starts distorting. Other than that, it was a worthwhile time expenditure, I feel, considering I had blown speakers there before. BTW, who got the adapter plate from Crutchfield? How much did that cost?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts